Workingman's 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I bought a SWR Workingmans 12 from Guitar center last month on Mass tax Free day. I guess swr redesighning them so GC was blowing them out.

Nice little amp!

It hasnt left the Living room. Hasn't even been "Loudish". It has a solid tone!

2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Out of the workingman series I liked the 12 tone the best! however, I did own a wm10 with extention 10. If I could do it over I'd get a wm12.
  3. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I had one for several years. Bought one of the first ones out. Very nice amp. Good tone, feature set and portable, to boot.
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've been tempted to get a WM12 instead of taking my Eden/Bergie rig. I would love to just have a combo instead of a rack/cab rig. Unfortunately, I just love the sound of the Eden/Bergie so I keep hauling it around.

I used a WM10 and 12 for a while with a tube DI to "warm it up" a bit and it was great. It's probably all I need for the gigs I do now, but I am spoiled by my current rig.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I bought a used WM12 from BassNW for my college amp. I like it, but i think i was really used to the sound and versatility of my Rack + 2X12. Oh well-it sounds good so far though, and since it weighs less than my rack does-that's also a major plus.
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    with the wm12 the smooth not nasaly tone seemed better than the 10 or 15, although one of the 15" combo's sounded pretty good I think it was the pre 2003 recessed control panel model.
  8. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    thats the one i used and abused for 6 years, pushing it pretty hard from time to time, hand trucking it over cobblestone and brick pathways, and never gave me a problem, sounded good, and was way louder than the 12" but the 12" definitely had a better tone in comparison

good score!
  9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I just got another one a few weeks ago... This is my 3rd... Unfortunately, I sold or traded the others for no apparent good reason. It's a great small combo amp. Great for small gigs. A great tone for a solid state amp and with the price I got it for.. a great deal
  10. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've had one for about 4-5 yrs now, works great for practice and small gigs... heck, I even played an outdoors concert with it a couple years ago in a pinch... surprisingly I had plenty of stage volume (good mix in the monitors helped). Solid tone, reasonably small / lightweight... great value used.
  11. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I had a SWR Workingman 15" 160watt version. great combo. with PA support it could play most small, med stages. i also played a few places without PA support and almost hung in there.

there was a earlier 120watt version, and then the fender era 200watt/casters version.

I thought i was a great combo amp. good sounding, transportable, sounded even better with a 15" extention to get the full wattage.

it's major flaw was lack of casters (updated when fender bought SWR) and the DI was only pre EQ (the working pros have pre/post).

i bought a bigger live rig, and i sold the WM15. i had a 4004 head with a working man 210 and 15 for practices. i actually thought the WM15 combo amp sounded way better than the bigger rig. all that equipment has since been sold and i got GK stuff.

I guess FMIC is revamping the SWR stuff and switching the workingman into the workingpros.

that workingman 15 definately served its purpose. I would not play live with a 12" combo.. not big enough.