Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Workingman's 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orange_juice_binge, Mar 4, 2001.

1. orange_juice_binge

orange_juice_binge

Sep 8, 2000
    I just found an SWR Workingman's 15 at a local consignment shop, and it is being sold for $500. The salesman said it was five years old, and it seems to be in pretty good condition. Is this a reasonable price for this combo? Also, how long do these combos usually last, and are there any problems I could expect to have due to its age? Thanks.

2. Since they are going for about $650 new, I would say 500 for a 5 year old one is a little high. It will last as long as you need it to.Check the controls for bad connections, twist all the knobs to see if they crackle,and of course check the cab for wear and tear.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I got a Workingman's 12 new for $500 and sold it for $325. $500 is too much for a 5 year old 15!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The combo could last a long time, depending on how it's kept.

I'm admittingly biased (against) when it comes to the WM-series but $500 is too much for that combo in the US.

5. orange_juice_binge

orange_juice_binge

Sep 8, 2000
    Thanks for the posts. I'm gonna see if I can get him to knock down the price a little.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Knock it down a lot.

7. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I tried the WM 15 but brought it back after the 1st gig I did with it.I like the sound ok,but not enough power to play with anything close to a loud band. May I suggest you take a look at the Ampeg B2 combos,they start at 200 watts into 8 ohms and go up to 350 watts with an extension cab,and can be found used for less than your WM 15.

8. I_Dream_Of_Bass

I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    I agree with virtual.ray and Brad Johnson. I paid $500 (after tax), for my wm-12 and while it gets by at shows, I would prefer something with more power. Although I really do like the sound from it and it works very well for practicing. I would also recommend checking out the SWR site, because I'm pretty sure that they have changed the amps around within the last year or two. I think they might have added an option or two. Here's the link.

http://www.swrsound.com/pages/products/wmseries/wm15.html

9. The older SWR Workingmans 15 has a different power rating than the new ones. The older ones are 120watts @ 8 ohms, 160watts @ 4 ohms;
    the new ones are 160watts @ 8 ohms, 200watts @ 4 ohms. IMO $500 is too much to pay for one used. Take one between $300-400, no more (or less...). Otherwise definitely check out the Ampeg B2 combo.