workingmans 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by M J Stevens, Nov 9, 2000.

1. M J Stevens

M J Stevens

Nov 5, 2000
    Looking to buy one,(good price range). I play mostly small blues & jazz clubs and have not really seen to many to listen to in a club situation. Any thoughts?
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    M.J., I bought the 4004 with one 1x15 in April. I had a problem with the 1x15 and it had to be returned to the factory for repair after a couple of months. I was offered by the dealer the use of a speaker while mine was being repaired. I "borrowed" the 2x10 because I wanted to see what the difference would be between the two cabs.

In my opinion the 2x10 cuts thru the mix better than the 1x15. Ideally, the 2x10 plus the 1x15 is "the" way to go.

In all fairness to S.W.R., I believe the problem was caused by my own stupidity. I kept jacking the volume up without monitoring the clip lites at a real loud gig. I explained to the dealer that I may have caused the problem. He said that the warrantee was still good even though it may have been my fault. Now that's a good company to deal with. The name of the store that I bought it from is Great Scott Music Co. They are really great people to do business with.

Bottom line is that if I was only going to use one cab, I'd go for the 2x10. YMMV

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I normally use an SWR Baby Blue (for both upright and electric) on gigs in situations like yours, but about two years ago for a few gigs I used a borrowed WM15 instead. I thought it had enough volume and reasonable EQ; the upright usually needs major EQ tweaks from room to room and the WM15 was up to the task. In general, it's a very crisp and clean sounding amp.

Like any other low powered amp, it has it's limits as far as max volume, but adding an extension cabinet can get you a few more dB if you have need for more volume once in a while.

I'd recommend just shutting off the built in compressor, it makes the amp sound constipated.
  4. M J Stevens

M J Stevens

Nov 5, 2000
    Thanks for the input, I had figured an extention cab. was going to be in the mix on this so good to hear you guys have had some use with and without. It could use the head room I'am sure for more definititon.
  5. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Beware of adding extension cabs to the WM15. Alot of people don't realize the problems that can be caused by being under powered. I'm a strong beliver that a cab shound be supplied with all of the power it can handle. I'm guilty of under-powering myself-I'm running 6 10s of 450 watts but i'm not severely underpowered. I Have a friend wo foolishly runs a 4x10 off a WM15. 200 watts isn't enough to drive a 1x15 and a 4x10. So anyway the moral of the story is don't go to hell with extension cabs when you only have a realitively small amp. By the way I think the WM 15 is a great amp as long as it's used within it's boundries. It's not able to go toe to toe with a marshall stack.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I wasn't talking about using an extension all the time. I use an extension with my Baby Blue maybe twice a year when I need to move a bit more air but using one of my larger amps is prohibitive.

As far as 200 watts "not being enough", well a fraction of a watt is enough to drive a speaker. Ah, but to what level?
    It's simple: as long as you don't clip the amp, you can drive any cabs you want. If you have to drive the amp to clipping to get the levels you need, you need a more powerful amp. The Baby Blue has clipping indicators and I am careful to make sure that I am not clipping the amp even when NOT using an extension.
  7. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    The clip indicators on our amps show us only when the speakers a projecting a damaging, square wave signal. If you're "underpowered" and the poweramp runs out of head room nothing at all will light up. I don't think it's at all damaging it just sounds like crap. I think you're missing my point. You won't get the intended sound of the speakers it they are no driven with enough power. It's like saying a fraction of a horse power could move a car but it coulden't do it properly.
  8. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    just curious...
    i have a wm 15
    are you talking about the pre-amp clip (which i'm assuming) or the active limiter (which would be a problem, because that thing is flicking all the time during prac/gigs).

9. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    NO your limiter can blink all it wants...that just means it's doing it's job.
  10. i used to play gigs with a laney 600
    with a 2x15 cab with jbl speakers
    when i bought it i thought the 600 was wattage after a while i relized it was the weight. i didn't really need all the size after my guitar player traded in his mashal stack so
    i traded it in for a much smaller combo amp. i got the swr workingman 15. i like the tone much better and it only weights about 70 pounds, the plus is it still has enough balls for what i need, if you need more you can always add a side cab
  11. I'm not an SWR fan but I must give props to the WM15.....

My fiance's bass player in a former band used only that and this guy rocked the show........

.....if you groove it, they will come.....
  12. Steve Whitman

Steve Whitman

Sep 4, 2000
    I got a WM15 this past summer and am real happy with it. I also picked up a Goliath Junior III (2x10) used at a real good price, so I add that at larger gigs. IMHO, if this rig is not loud enough, you are probably doing damage to your ears. To get loud the good lord gave us PA systems w/ subwoofers for the front of house mix - you should only be playing at a reasonable stage volume. As you may guess, I'm an older player and don't do punk or metal ;-) but my band definitely rocks out on occasion.