Workingman's 8004

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Jun 17, 2002.

1. first off i love swr, and i want a big gun, this 750 watter should be the $899 is quite agreeable with my wallet. What are some opinions on this? Id like to hear some comments on it before i buy it.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, if you're looking for an SWR sound and easy on the wallet...why not get a poweramp and SWR Interstellar Overdrive? masive power, and an SWR preamp, and you wouldn't have to settle for "Second Best" workingmans. (Not that it's bad or even inferior)
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This the new model that was supposedly designed for Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power. I be interested in hearing comments from anyone that has played a gig with one of these.

How does it compare to the other SWR amps, and other brands like Ampeg, GK, etc.?
  4. I found an EBS Fafner 440-watter that's probably louder than the 8004 (SWR overrates its power amps) for $750. Keep looking.
  5. the swr IOD....what about thought it was just primarily for i wrong? would it function as a real sounding head, would he be dynamic..or would there only be a few sounds i cuold get from it?
  6. The IOD also functions as a standard tube preamp--you don't have to engage the tube distortion stage if you don't want to.

If you don't need the tube distortion, you can find a used Grand Prix for poco dinero. That has the standard SWR preamp.
  7. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    look around.

a used SWR bass750 can be found in your price range. however, i used to own an SWR workingmans series amp and i absolutely loved it. i have yet to play the 8004 though..

the suggestion of a pre/power setup is very good idea especially if you dont have too much money and want a lot of wattage.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, ask our residing IOD nut, Warwick5s (Jason Braatz)... Here are some sound samples at Here. Click Me. (hosted by Bgavin).

Sounds really cool.
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    actually - when i was up in the north land trying out some zons, elricks, roscoes, and such, i was testing thru a WM 8004 and a Workingman's Tower. sounded REALLY nice. i think if i was in just a rock band and needed to crush heads for the least amount of dough - that'd be the rig. it actually could get louder than my rig (but it DID have 2x the speakers) and still remain pretty clear.

for the moneys (new), i'd recommend it.

as for the IOD - if you want to be able to get a much warmer sound than the "SWR sound" but you still want to retain the clarity that swr does so well, this is the ticket. you could probably get a blue faced IOD for around 400, and add a carvin DCM1000 for about 350, and then a rack for 100.

it CAN get a lot of different tones, but i only use one all the time. the "big-fat-clear" tone.