Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

workingman's cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ohmanohjeeze, Jun 26, 2002.

1. ohmanohjeeze

ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    I couldn't really find much info on these in the forum search, so I'm curious.
    I'm thinking about buying a 2x10 for 350, and a 1x15 in the future. I'd like to know if these are any good, or if I should just hold out and purchase a goliath or an ampeg svt610hlf. Or if there are any other better and powerful combonations for around 700 bucks.
    Thank you.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I got my SWR WM 2x10t used at GC for $249. I tried it side by side with Hartke, Yorkville, and a few others, even an Epifani. It had the most bass of all the cabs I tried. (I think there must've been something wrong w/ the Epifani 2x12. It had 1 jack missing and did not sound like anything special like everyone says.) Some people say to avoid the WM and go for the hi-end SWR cabs, but I like mine a lot.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Workingmans 10 cab that I use for practice at home. I understand that the the WM line is the budget / entry model of amps and cabs. They sound good, but don't expect them to keep up with the regular SWR gear or other high end brands like Eden, Wayne Jones, Bergantino, EA, Acme, etc.

They are the low priced budget line, so "you will get what you pay for".

They are great for practice, beginners, or those who don't want to pay the price for the more expensive brands. They really do sound decent for the price.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Summed up beautifully. Exactly what I was going to say.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i like my 1x15T cab... it has good bass down to C on the B string. its sounds ok by itself, but if i can help it ill never play it alone again cos since i added a 2x10 (avatar) i realized how wooly it sounded... not really my bag

6. I have a Workingman's 4x10T and a Goliath Jr III 2x10. If you're looking for a 2x10 I would try to find a used Goliath Jr. Mine cost $350.00 on E-Bay.

The Workingman's may be SWR's low end product but is by no means a second rate product. It lacks the low end punch of a Goliath but for the money it's a great cab. I've had my 4x10 for 4 or 5 years and while I like the tone, it doesn't handle the B-string very well. When I bought it I didn't have the five string yet. I intend to upgrade to the Goliath as soon as I can save some money.

7. If I were you I'd just hold on to the cash for the Ampeg SVT-610HLF.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    For $700 you should be able to find a good used Goliath III or Eden D410-XLT and still have some money left over. I say if you have the money go straight for the good stuff.

9. i'm seriously considering buying one for my wm15 combo. i need a 2x10 that's 8 ohms, and doesn't require much power. the 200watt handling of the SWR seems low enough that the combo can feed it, yet high enough so that if i upgrade to a 400-500 watt amp (i can't imagine needing more power than this) and bag end 115, it will be about perfect.

given these criteria, i simply can't even FIND another 2x10 that i'd want. except maybe for yorkville. but the SWR 1) has a tweeter 2) is ported and 3) is pretty much designed to go with my combo, so all things considered there's really no competition. OR IS THERE? you tell me.