1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Workout and exercise. What works for you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Mar 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I basically changed my lifestyle around Fall of last year. You read that right. I'm not "on a diet". I'm not trying to get down to a certain weight. (Honestly, at 6'1" 180-185 pounds I will hopefully pack ON a few pounds of muscle rather than losing more.) But I changed for good. No going back. Nutrition is in check. I have my accepted daily foods and I cheat some. Not very complicated.

As far as exercise and working out goes, I'm a bit all over the map. Every weekday I'm hitting the machines at my workplace gym. For now, I'm using the machines only because I want to build strength, form, and balance before taking on the free weights. But those are next (maybe by Summer).

Edit for detail: Lots of presses (both arm and leg), curls (arm and leg), extensions (arm and leg) ,ab machine, lower back machine, thighs in and out, etc.

Also, rock music in the ear buds. Some of it I don't even like. But it keeps me pumped up. It's a workout playlist on Spotify.

Several days a week I am either hitting the eliptacle hard or running pretty hard for a half hour or so. I plan to add the mountain bike on some trails around here when the weather breaks.

I feel my body changing in a good way. I have more energy. I'm stronger. My pants are a little loose and I had to buy shorter belts. My blood pressure (the main reason I made these changes to begin with) and all other stats are all well within acceptable ranges with some being stellar. Things are going great.

But I also have a short attention span. This routine will get boring after a few more months.

So I need some ideas. I need a fresh take on things.

What are you guys doing? Kettlebells? Body weight stuff? (Planks and whatnot) More existential stuff? (Yoga et al)

What works for you?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I'm a boring guy - splitting and stacking firewood and walking the dogs.

alanloomis1980 and two fingers like this.
  3. I do about 200 push ups, sit ups, lunges and bodyweight squats every morning. In the afternoons I run around 5km or just about 3 miles. I hit 300 reps by may last year, and things kinda hit a downturn, but with that being said I'm about to reach and surpass those old numbers.

I dunno, I had to lead some of my own personnel in PT and I accidentally went a bit hard on them, so the next day was just a series of stretches. I've never thought of myself as fit, I'm not great with weights by any measure, I'm just trying to develop coordination, intervals, and stamina for weeks before getting back into boxing or something.

4. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I go to the gym 5 days a week.
    Most important is cardio exercise! Remember, no one ever dies from skinny arms;); focus on getting your heart rate up.

Of course i do some weights and back exercises. Just mix it up and be creative. Cardio is key. YMMV.

5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I went to a gym once. It depressed me.
    I walk a lot, at a fairly fast pace.
    I do a physical therapy routine most mornings to manage back, knee and shoulder injury. Just stretches, sit-ups and press-ups.
    A tai chi routine to relax most evenings.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've been pumping aluminum for years.

Low84, TN WOODMAN and two fingers like this.
  7. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    Trail/mountain biking. I don't do it for the exercise, that's just a positive externality. I do it because I like it, and that is the secret.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    12 ounces at a time, or have you graduated to 16 ouncers?? :D

Joshua and IconBasser like this.
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I'm on my feet and constantly moving all day. The only time I spend sitting down is when I test drive a customer's car.

Between the standing, kneeling, lifting, swinging hammers and twisting wrenches all day, I'd say that qualifies as exercise.

two fingers likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sorry to say that after all of these years i'm content with the 12s. seems like the 16s are just a way of saying "hey, look at me!" :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Mike N likes this.
  11. BJJ

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Give yoga a try, seriously.
    I laughed at first when I saw Diamond Dallas Page on Shark Tank promoting his workout program with yoga, but then had a chance to try it out. It's legit.
    Mix that in to keep your workouts fresh.

-Mike

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Other people in the gym annoy me and a lot of time used to be wasted getting there and back. So we converted a spare bedroom on the 3rd floor of the house to a workout room. It includes:
    Octane Fitness elliptical
    Waterrower
    Weight bench with dumbbell sets up to 50 lbs
    Total Gym

I'm in there 6 mornings a week, Sundays off, for 45 minutes a day. Listen to podcasts mostly, but sometimes music. Each day is 30 minutes on either the elliptical or the rower, and 15 minutes of weight bearing stuff - all core, no extremities - that cycles through bench presses, pushups, and pull down crunches on the Total Gym. My son, 17, works out every morning before I do. My wife is up there about 4 days a week. In the summer, wife and I go to the pool 3-4 days a week and I usually swim 1/2 mile of laps on those days, slow "pre-geriatric style". :D

At 55, this is purely maintenance, and I'm not really trying to change anything. I've been 6'1" and 175 for a while now, and I'm just trying to fall apart at a slightly slower rate than I would otherwise. I think routine is a good thing! I don't worry about getting bored because I know it's the best way for me to start any day on the positive side. Also, I think the word "exercise" should always be spelled exorcise, because for me that's what's really happening there.

14. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    Concept 2 rowing machine. 600cals in 45 minutes or 10k meters 3x week. Burns off the italian dinners.

Strength training 2x week for 1 hr. Leisurely pace, with the aim to prevent injury and keep tendons / ligaments elastic.

Been doing this routine for about 10 years. Have been working out 30+, and this an efficent way to stay strong, heart healthy and knock out any lower back problems.

two fingers and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  15. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Florida
    I hit the stairs at work, do anywhere from 50 - 70 floors total a day (on my breaks, not all in one shot), on weekends jog 2.25 - 2.5 miles, dropped around 40 lbs, I'm 57 yrs old, 5'-8", weighing 145 lbs, feeling better than ever.

16. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I focus on playful movement, joy and moving to feel good. I have a 20lb dumbbell, jump rope, teal 80s stepper ( :cool: ) and some resistance bands at home. I play with those, plus a mix of body weight, yoga and tai chi.

As much as possible, I try to get out in the world with bike, walk/jog, stairs/hills, swimming and gardening.

two fingers likes this.
  17. Electricalbass

Electricalbass

Dec 13, 2017
    NW Montana
    Working construction for 16 years have given me all the strength I need. That said, I have found that yoga and especially barre exercises really help with my balance and strengthening my joints. It also helps that I do it in conjunction with my wife.

two fingers and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021