Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Workout" Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Jan 1, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Hey guys, well Jan 1st is here and in order to aid me with my new years resolution I figure I could use some theme music. Perhaps others on the board are thinking the same way.

So I'm gonna put together a sick, crazy, adrenaline pumping workout playlist. I'm looking for suggestions on high-energy, fast music to run to. Metal seems to be the obvious choice in terms of genre, but I wouldn't mind some diversity. I've started to compile a few songs so far, but i need to weed out the best for a solid 30-60min block of driving rock fury. I'll update the list with more as i get further. Here's what I've got so far:

Metallica - Battery
    Iron Maiden - The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner ;)
    Death - Without Judgement
    Dimmu Borgir - Lepers Among Us

I know its hard, but please resist the urge to suggest "Eye of the Tiger" or the "Rocky" theme...funny, yes but i'd like music i actually listen to. ;) :D

So what songs get you guys pumped?

2. Good thing we're both into metal.

My current mix is something along the lines of:

Kreator- Blind Faith
    Iron Maiden- Phantom of the Opera
    DragonForce- Fury of the Storm
    Stratovarius- Black Diamond
    Atheist- On They Slay
    Control Denied- Consumed
    Celtic Frost- The Usurper

And that's all I can remember right now. I'll add some Testament when I get around to buying some.

3. Well its slightly different from your current list, but my friend's brother cycles to Kraftwerk's Tour de France soundtrack.

4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Good Suggestions...Maiden always gets me pumped. I gotta ad some Athiest to mine. Probably the song "And the Psychic Saw."

5. Right on! I have "Piece of Time" and "Elements," so the only record of theirs I have yet to get is "Unquestionable Prescence."

6. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Not metal, but the Ramones first album usually keeps me going. Hop on the bike, press play, don't stop until the album finishes. Maybe skip some slower songs. You'll get a half-hour workout. :bassist:

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    High on Fire, Motorhead, Clutch... that type of stuff does it for me. Most metal I like is odd timed and doesn't make for good work out music.

8. Europe- "The Final Countdown", if that doesn't make you want to work out nothing will.

9. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    Rage Against the Machine - Calm Like a Bomb

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My youth pastor said the beginning of "Metropolis Part I" by Dream Theater made him want to go work out. :rolleyes:

11. white lion: wait

12. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I forgot about good old punk rock. Ramones is good, maybe some Bad Brains or Black Flag would work too.
    Good suggestions everyone. Yea, this is the only case where i'm not into odd-time metal.

Here's a few more (non-metal) songs I think I'll add:

Iggy and the Stooges - Search and Destroy
    Bad Brains - Sailin' On
    Clutch - 10,000 Witnesses or Never Be Moved

13. For the gym, especially those 45 minutes on the treadmill, I'm really partial to the more modern "pop-punk", as it's called.. Green Day, Big Drill Car, Lagwagon, All, stuff in that vein. Those bands meet all the requirements for good workout music -- fast, melodic, and great bass playing, of course.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Red Chord, DEP, etc. If An Albatross albums weren't so short they would work.

I normally listen to Motorhead, Authority Zero and Anthrax when I hit the gym. Medusa, Revolution, and Ace of Spades get me especially pumped.

15. Here are some of the songs from my Workout playlist on my ipod.

Anthrax-Bring the Noise
    Limp Biscut - Break Stuff
    Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
    Helmut - Unsung
    Rage against the machine - Bulls on Parade + Bullet in the head
    S.O.D. - March of the S.O.D.
    Social Distortion - Bad Luck

Good Luck!

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of any Rammstein for that pumping hard workout.

17. Meshuggah - New Millenium Cianide Christ (sp?)

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Pantera; ************ Hostile!!!!

Ow yeah :cool:

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    usually any GG Allyn does the trick... :D

20. In track practice I run with my ipod and usually Clutch's Robot Hive or SoundGarden's Badmotorfinger.