Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Works by Haydn or Mozart that exemplify the characteristics of the period

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm in class right now and we have an assignment to research a specific period in music history in relation to the contemporary political events. I've got 1740-1760, so I'm doing a five page presentation on either Haydn or Mozart.

I have some recordings by both and a few Mozart vinyls, but I'm curious about any specific works that are particularly important in a historical sense.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think Mozart's String Quintets are considered historically important, as they are amongst the first where a composer chose particular instruments for their tonal colours and for all the directions he gave the performers...?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Thank ya, Bruce!

Also, Johann Christian Bach fits very nicely into the era I have as well -- a bit better than Haydn, who came into his own during the 1760's (my project cuts off at 1760.)

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Just about any of them, really.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Mozart's str 4's are important but Haydn's are more so... Mozart emulated Haydn's ground breaking string quartet work.

The whole genre of the string quartet is probably the most influential thing to come out of the Classical Period.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - but I was talking about String Quintets!!

So - Mozart added another instrument for a particular tonal quality.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Since Mozart wasn't even born until 1756, I don't think he'd be a very good choice. Great as he was, I don't think any of the works he composed before he was 4 years old are of any great lasting importance. ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

That's true - probably better to look at something like the Brandenburg Concertos! Although they're probably too early at about 1720!! :meh: Their influence would have been felt then....?

Haydn's probably too early as well - as he would only have been in his teens/early 20s and his great works were much later!

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, I noticed the age issues last night. I just did some more pecking around and it looked like Christoph Willibald Gluck is my best bet for this project, but I just now saw that his important work started in the 1760's with Orfeo and Euridice.

So is this just an incredibly awkward time period, or what's the deal? I looked for the last of the baroque composers as well, and it looks like Handel is about as good a fit as I can get. I guess I'll take a look at his oratorios. Anything else I should look for?

10. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    j.c. bach would be a good choice to fit into this awkward period. i think telemann and rameau would fall into your period as well. both could provide some very good material.