Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Workshop for Undergrad Jazz

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by JAS, Nov 26, 2003.

1. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    As a graduate student, I am putting together a workshop/clinic for all the undergraduate jazz majors (not just bassists) at my school about any topic. I would like to hear if any one here has done any of these kinds of things in the past and if anyone has any ideas about what I can do. One of my fellow students has already done a rhythm section clinic about hooking up with each other. Thanks.

2. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Well, I put on the workshop today and we covered "Free Improvisation." We started with the concept of Rubato and we worked our way through playing a tune with no changes, just melody, we did tonal centers, free improvisational conversations, and use of tone rows. Then we discused and explored some different dynamic and timbral concepts. It went well. I learned a lot.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sorry I missed this thread. I've always wanted to do a clinic about "implied time" or "erasing most barlines" in a small group setting. I get to broach the subject when coaching ensembles, but it would make a great topic for a clinic or two.