Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

World Cup of Hockey 2004

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, May 15, 2004.

1. For anyone who is interested, Canada announced their roster today for the World Cup this August. I was pretty surprised by some of the picks. Note that there are 3 goalies, and only 2 will dress, 15 forwards and only 12 will dress, and 8 defensemen, 6 of whom will dress.

In goal there were no surprises
    - Brodeur
    - Belfour
    - Luongo

Only one surprise on defence
    - Blake
    - Foote
    - Pronger
    - Neidermeyer
    - Jovanovski
    - Redden
    - Brewer
    - Regehr (I guess he earned it in the playoffs this year)

Lots of surprises for the forwards
    - Lemieux
    - Sakic
    - Iginla
    - St. Louis
    - Thornton
    - Heatley
    - Richards
    - Smyth
    - Doan
    - Marleau
    - Draper
    - Maltby
    - Yzerman
    - Morrow
    - Gagne

They really went for guys with international experience here. There are a lot of young players, but almost all of them were part of the gold medal winning world championship team from 2003 or 2004. Richards, Doan, and Marleau might be a little surprising but they are solid picks so I can't argue. I am kind of surprised that they picked the straight ahead checkers in Draper and Maltby, and I kind of figured that Yzerman was done considering he is about 40 years old and has gimpy knees and one eye right now (leadership I guess). I am really surprised that Brendan Morrow is on the team and Simone Gagne as well. I think the only reason is that Gagne was on the 2002 olympic team and Morrow just won the world championship with Canada.

Notable absenses
    - Aucoin (nobody ever notices him, he has been statistically one of the best defensemen in the game the past few years and should be on the team)
    - Tanguay (why not him instead of Morrow or Gagne? Before he got injured he actually was Colorado's top scorer :eek: )
    - Kariya (I guess injuries ruined it for him)
    - Lecavalier (talented, but too much of a goal suck)
    - Bertuzzi (for the sake of team chemistry, good call)
    - Nash (41 goals, but only 19 years old)
    - Nolan
    - Shanahan
    - Nieuwendyk
    - Primeau
    - McCabe

2. being the detroit fan that i am, draper was one of the only players who produced consistently in the playoffs for the wings. and you'd be hard pressed to find a guy as hard-working as drapes. yzerman managed a team-tying three goals, though he hasn't been for the last couple years the offensive force he was for most of his career.

see shanahan's disappearance for a reason why he was not selected. and i'm glad to see the lumberjack getting some much deserved cold shoulder. bertuzzi is a bitch. same goes for hatcher. he works hard, but i don't like his style of play -- dirty. but i digress....

robb.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I think McCabe shoulda been there, but he's one of my favourite players so I'm a tad biased. I'm also a bit surprised they didn't put Nash on the taxi squad.

I agree that no Bertuzzi is a good call. There are quite a few Avalanche players on the team and I'm sure they in particular don't want to share a dressing room with Bertuzzi right now.

In any case, this is still one helluva good team with a good chance to win. I'm looking forward to seeing Super Mario on skates again.