Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

World Idol

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Okay guys, World Idol - who watched it? What did you think of it? What the hell was going on with the German guy?

Personally, I didnt think any of them were great and if thats the best the World has too offer - we are in trouble! However that said, I thought that Kurt Neilsen (Belgium) and the Peter (Norway) were both very good signers in their own right.

Lets here your thoughts (if any!)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I already boycotted the German edition, so there was no chance I'd see this pile of r*nc*d sh*t.

Instead I watched some DVDs (Opeth's Lamentation and Rush in Rio).

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I also watched those two DVD's yesterday - Im a little disapointed that Opeth didnt play "Benighted" and some of the stuff off "Still Life" and "My Arms" on the DVD - although it is still amazing.

What is the general feeling in Germany about the German idol guy? Is it just me or does he bear an uncanny resembelence to Michael Schumacher?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He resembles (Michael's younger brother) Ralf Schumacher even more, and I guess it really had a part in his winning the thing.

But pretty much all German contestants were utter crap in my opinion, as were the "jury".

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I saw it.

The German guy, well, I wasn't even sure what notes he was aiming for, but he managed to acheive a sort of microtonal effect there. I guess he wasn't sure what key he wanted to do it in, so he split the difference and went halfway inbetween :D

My favourites were Kelly (US) and Guy (Australia), I thought they had very good voices. Ok, they wanked around too much, and the version of "Wonderful World" Guy did wasn't too great - he overdid the vocal gymnastics thing, but he had a really good voice. Perhaps a Stevie song would have suited him better.

The Norweigan guy who won was good too.

Was it the Belgian guy who did the Nirvana song? He did a good job of it, but he sounded just like Cobain. He was basically doing an impression, which is not really what it's about, to me. It was a good impression (I can't sing like that), but not really what the competition was about.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Is Wil Young copping it in the UK today? I thought he looked a little bit disappointed with his result. Altough I must say that the version of light my fire was bloody awful...I think one of the judges said it best when he said "If I was part of the Morrison family I would sue you".

Guy has a technically good voice but he doesnt know how to use it well. I think of him as like the Yngwie of Aussie vocalists - hes got the chops but has yet to learn taste :)

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree, but he has a lot of raw talent and so far hasn't turned into a nightmare rockstar. So hopefully he will maintain an attitude that allows him will develop over time. He was defintitely the best of the Aussies and deserved to win the local comp. the guy that came second was awful............

Guy's big problem now is that he's a fish out of water. The material for his album was obviously written before the Idol comp started, and it doesn't suit him. They are also very weak songs in comparison to, say Kelly Clarkson's first 2 singles.

His other problem is that he's in thw wrong country. He has a great voice for R&B and soul but there's a very small market for that in Australia.

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think his major obstacle is himself, he needs to realise that his target market is not interested in how many different types of vocal gymnastics he can squeeze into a song - they just want catchy pop songs. I haven no doubt he could be a quality artist with all his talents, but he would probably sell a lot fewer records than what BMG would like.

Hes also got a great look for radio ;)

9. The vote count reminded me of eurovision..but really i dont like the whole idol thing..i just watched that instead of other interesting summer tv (burkes backyard and what not to wear)

I dont see why you would want to win a show and go on to sing songs people have written for you...even though im not into the whole pop music thing i do have some respect for the real singer/songwriter musicians

anyways

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm actually pretty impressed by Kelly Clarkson's singing. I was really surprised that the first season(USA) was won by the best singer, rather than the most marketable. And she is from my hometown. How cool is that?

And the guy with the gap in his teeth was the best singer on the show. I loved the judges trying to find dignified ways to say " Dude, you are a great singer, but you are too ugly to get a deal."

The best version was "If this competition were on radio in stead of TV you would already have won."

11. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I noticed that almost all of them looked like freaks, what was up with that? Kelly was the only one I could look at without laughing.

12. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    That Nirvana singin' Rocker Dude from Belgium cracks me up.

In an post-performance interview he said:
    "My Homey's know I'm keeping it real."

Since when did the American Ghetto Lexicon
    become adopted by the Belgium Rocker Culture?

13. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    The right guy one...

The Canadian made me laugh my ass off. He was dancing around like he was going to fly away or something.

14. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Not that I've paid much attention to this silly contest, but it's been impossible to avoid news of the latest developement...
    So just to get the facts straight:
    Peter Evrard is from Belgium.
    Kurt Nilsen - the winner - is from Norway.

Yee-haw... :rolleyes:

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

But, on the other hand, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, even michael Jackson, and numerous other great singers, including opera singers sing music that has been written by another composer.

I don't see any problem with being a great interpreter of someone else's music. Some songwirters are horrible interpreters of their own muisc. If someone else can sing it better, why not?

Yes, it's great if you are like James Taylor or Bruce Springfield or John Mellencamp and both write and sing your own music in a manner that pleases the public, but I also admire singers who can take what may be an otherwise ordinary song and make it great.

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The Norwegian singer won and I did enjoy his singing, but when I think "world idol" I don't see him as fitting that image.

Most world idols, past and present, (Elvis Presley, Micheal Jackson, Mariah Carey, who else?) had/ have a carismatic appearance as well as exceptional talent. Also they have a natural gift for stirring up their audience and making each person in it feel a special connection to them. The Norwegian has an "average joe" appearance, though I suppose image consultants could do a lot to improve his looks.

I can't even remember his name, so he sang well, but so do lots of people that never get beyond their junior high school choir. I just didn't feel the "connection" with his performance.