Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

World Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Feb 15, 2003.

1. I've been trying to get inspiration from more world music lately. I've been listening to lots of Indian music, Jewish music, Celtic music, Greek music, etc. and I've found a lot of cool stuff, but I was wondering what some of the essential World records are, because I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. So...what are your favorite world records?

2. Anybody?

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I love world music. Inspirational. Educational. Beautiful.

How 'bout some Enya, Clannad, and Secret Garden for Celtic music...Bob Marley and Peter Tosh for Reggae...Graeme Revell for Indian/Middle Eastern music (he composes a lot of movie soundtracks)...Miriam Makeba for African music...amongst others...

Two other albums I enjoy are "Dali's Cave" (Gary Thomas), some good innovative aboriginal Australian music. And an album called "Spirits Walking the Wind" (Nancy Bloom) which blends Native American, Celtic, and African-American music.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Check out Salif keita's early 90's work...awesome bass playing!!! Richard Bona's solo albums are world beat...with great bass playing.

6. Thanks for the suggestions...I just found this really cool Greek band called "The Athenians" that are pretty cool. I'm not a fan of the vocals but the playing is stellar.

7. Fort Apache Band
    Charlie Haden
    Flim & the BB's
    Afro Cuban All Stars
    ...and many more.

I realize these may not qualify as "world music" in your books, but I'm in Canada and none of the above mentioned are. They meet the criteria as far as I'm concerned. What is "World Muisic" anyways? Is it ethnic music? Is it music from a country where you are not? Do Jamaicans consider Bob Marley's music to be "World Music"?

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw a great band Friday before last - Orient House Ensemble - some extraordinary music, veering between Jazz, Kletzmer, Palestinian and Central European music. At one point a song sequed from Bach to Coltrane!!

So the leader is Israeli (in exile) Gilad Atzmon on Sax and Clarinet - the band had double bass,drums, piano, accordian and violin - as well as a Palestinian singer.

So they are campaigning for harmony between Israel and Palestine, but the music was the real link between the two.

I think their latest album is called "Exile"?

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, I don't know many , but I can say that a song that inspires me, and one that was itself inspired by world rhythmns and percussion is Jaco's "reza"

10. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Yiorgas Mangas(if you like Greek)
    Hossam Ramzy, Chalf Hassan, Cheb Khaled(if you like the Middle Eastern sounds)
    "The Indestructable Beat of Soweto"(for some killer music of South Africa----all from the Apartheid era)
    also, if you like Greek and Celtic music, try listening to folk music from the Balkans(pretty interesting stuff)

11. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

a few

Peter Gabriel - Passion
    Tabla Beat Science - Live (or any really)
    any Bill Laswell (Sacred System/Filmtracks,etc)
    Bahia Black
    Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser
    Afro-celt Soundsystem - Further in Time vol 3
    any Ravi Shankar
    William Eaton - any album

check out Edgar Meyer's work too.

12. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Jonesy's list is a good one.......there is also a great companion piece to Peter Gabriel's 'Passion'.....it's called 'Passion Sources'. It has all the artist that Peter sampled for the album Passion......great stuff!!

13. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    Definitely check out the Bill Laswell albums that were suggested, he has some great international theme albums.
    One artist who is rarely mentioned is Jonas Hellborg. His album "Good People in Times of Evil" is one of the best I've ever heard. If you go to his site, www.bardorecords.com, and listen to clips from his new album, "Icon", you can hear him taking these ideas even further. It's really kind of sad that a player of his level is so overlooked. As a bassist, I rank his efforts up there with Jaco and Stanley in terms of the level of virtuosity and the power of his playing.
    A few others that I must recommend are Zakir Hussain(with or without Shakti), Kai Eckhardt, Trilok Gurtu, and Ernest Ranglin.

14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree! Jonas Hellborg is a awesome player, who always seem to be overlooked.

15. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    AFRICAN JAZZ PIONEERS!!!!

please, somebody else out there fall in love with this band.
    Somebody here just mentioned "the indestructable beat of soweto"....brilliant CD. But for South African jazz music you HAVE to hear this band.

oh, and Moving Hearts for good ol' Celtic Trad Fusion.... even though i don't like them too much or any of this style, they're probably the best group to listen to first.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    World music is such a lousy term because it lumps too many styles together. Even within African music there are many different styles.

Some I really like:

Zap Mama (maybe the BEST live performance I have ever seen)
    Ali Farka Toure
    Sheila Chandra Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (R.I.P.)
    Khaled
    Master Musicians of Joujouka
    Natasha Atlas
    Angelique Kidjo
    Esteban "Steve" Jordan
    Ivo Papasov
    Bahia Black
    Simon Shaheen
    Anouar Brahem

BTW as much as I love Bill Laswell's stuff that Irish remix CD he did is pretty bad. The AfroCelts have done a much , much better job of matching "beats" to Celtic music.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The Great and Almighty....

FELA KUTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    CLANN ZU!!!

ireland has the best music around hands down, then sweden. stick with those two and you'll be happy.

check out Kíla and clann zu for sure. very awesome. oh yeah kila's bassist is fine solid too.