1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

World of Strings

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by AlcalaBass, Mar 23, 2013.

1. AlcalaBass

AlcalaBass

Jan 28, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure if this belongs here or in another section.

World of Strings, a double bass shop in Southern California is closing it's doors after 50 years.
    I have been helping Jon move out these last few days. He's asked me to get the word out. If anyone here has an instrument there I would suggest you pick it up soon.

2. Tragic. Very sorry to hear this. Is Jon retiring completely?

3. AlcalaBass

AlcalaBass

Jan 28, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Not exactly sure if he's going to retire or move to a smaller shop.

4. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Please keep us posted..........

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Are they selling off their stock at discount?

6. Crap. I was planning on getting my DB in for a much needed check up. Jon has done great work for me through the years. Growing up in LB, that place was THE place for string players. Heck, I'm not even sure where else to head now :(

7. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Someone that posted in another thread is/was in touch with Jon during the closing process. I posted on that thread a quote from a different source that expects Jon to take some needed time off and then return to the trade.

You can always go to Lisa and she's got a new guy working there, Trevor Davis. Trevor worked on my instrument some months ago and he's very good.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I had a gig in Long Beach last month and popped my head in right before closing time. I'm shopping for a bass and have been meaning to get back there on a Saturday to get up close and personal with some basses. :atoz:

9. AlcalaBass

AlcalaBass

Jan 28, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Jon has been having some health issues. He will be selling a lot of inventory tomorrow. This will be the last week the store will be open.

10. AlcalaBass

AlcalaBass

Jan 28, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Depending on where you live you can head to Lisa's shop or lemur music.

11. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I am not remotely in your area... but do you know if he is selling off any wood/tools/etc...?

Thanks,
    Brian

12. AlcalaBass

AlcalaBass

Jan 28, 2012
    Los Angeles
    A lot has already been sold. Most of the wood/tools ware taken to his house. He might sell them off at some point

13. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I was driving by World Of Strings in Long Beach...

THE PLACE IS CLOSED!!

The place has been a fixture in Long Beach for over 50 years, the only place I would ever trust my DB for repairs. And now its gone!.

:mad:

If anyone knows how to get in touch with Jon Peterson (master luthier/ owner of World Of Strings), please contact me (pm).

Im so upset i dont know what to do. I have an issue with the peg box (the bass got dropped and jammed a tuner sideways in the pegbox so its incredibly difficult to turn the machine) I need him to fix.

Thanks...

14. See a few threads below: "World of Strings"

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    There's a lot of info on their Facebook page.

16. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I hadn't thought to check facebook. Yes, there is a World of Strings page, but I was looking for a number to contact Jon directly. I was hoping someone might have his home phone #. Naturally, the store phone just rings, rings, rings,,,,

17. Was at Lemur Music today. Ralph, who worked with Jon, is working their now, along with another excellent new guy who did a great set up on my bass.

18. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Found this ad on craigslist:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/msd/3776514079.html

Heres the body of the ad in case the link fails:

World of String CLOSING SALE (Bellflower Music Center)
    World Of Strings going out of business SALE is going to be held at the Bellflower Music Center parking lot

17125 Bellflower Blvd
    Bellflower, CA 90706
    Sunday May 5, 2013
    10 am - 3pm
    STRING INSTRUMENTS and MORE!!!

CASH ONLY!

Guess where im gonna be on cinco-de-drinko (before the drinking starts, of course!) ?

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Nice find skychief. You just may see me there!