World Peace or an Excellent Justice System?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Correlli, Oct 5, 2005.

1. World Peace

10 vote(s)
  2. Excellent Policing and Justice System

7 vote(s)
  1. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I was thinking the day about how many people world-wide would loss there well paid jobs, if crime and terrorism cease to exist. millions? billions?

So, would you have a system where every criminal and terrorist is efficiently caught and punished, or a system where crime and terror just doesn't exist?

How much money would be saved? billions and trillions?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I say 15 posts until close. Any bets?
  3. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'll delete it if gets out of hand

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'll deem this an imaginative impossibility.
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, if we finally achieve the touchy feely global village that is everybody's pipe dream then you can bet your house that there will be no death penalty. This means we have to house, feed and cloth all these ass clowns who don't play nice. And when the touchy feely folks prevail you can also bet that these same ass clowns will have extensive "rights" as prisoners which means we will have to provide all the niceties of normal life to them. So we probably won't save any money because we are supporting hundreds of millions of inmates.

Now if we had the sentence now, plug his @$$ in the backroom 5 minutes later rule then we will probably see some savings. Bullets are cheap. We can even use 2X4s if we really want to save.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I like where your head is at.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Your premise is flawed. The only way we could possibly achieve 'touchy feely' global harmony is if there weren't any 'ass clowns who didn't play nice' . That is an impossibility, so it's not going to happen either way. But your method of thinking would not be necessary in such a world, were it to exist, you'd be just as touchy feely as everyone else.
  8. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    World peace to me would mean everyone getting along and not doing cruel and dishonest things to each other, so...................................option #2 would therefore be obsolete.

:) Have a nice day
  9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A society will always be polarized between the Haves and the Have Nots. Yes even in a Global Village. The Have Nots will covet what the Haves.... have. Be it power, material things, knowledge, etc. This will lead to crime. The Global Village Guv'mint itself may pass laws that create victimless crimes. Point is, there will be criminals.
    The way you quoted me, it seems that my choice of words offended you. I apologize if you happen to consider yourself touchy feely (I can't find a better, more endearing term for it at the moment). Let's leave ass clown alone.

Abark, I enjoy the view in here. :p
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I disagree. I believe that your viewpoint, while accurate of THIS world, would be nonexistent in a world where global unity was actually possible and present. For such a thing to occur(global unity) then, by definition, there wouldn't be asshats running around being asshats. Where you say there would HAVE to be polarization leading to haves and have-nots, conflict etc. I say, that all people in such a world would either a) not care about material things or power/control..etc. or b) there would be no polarization due to either even or logically fair distribution of resources.

While obviously, that is a pipe dream impossibility, it's a pipe dream for other reasons outside of how we might deal with such a world.
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm with WR on this. Crime is largely a result of economic inequity. Take, for example, drugs. Farmers in Afghanistan or Columbia don't WANT to farm cocaine and poppy, but they need to/are forced to because it's lucrative for the people who own the fields to cultivate the crop. In an ideal world, these people would be able to go about their lives growing oranges or such. This has repercussions all along the chain, drugs fall out, then a lot of arms trade falls out as well, gangs, etc.

In addition, the death penalty is actually more expensive than imprisoning someone for life.

Thirdly: If global peace were to be achieved (by non-"Orwellian" dystopic means), the economic system would be markedly different than it is today, not to mention the intangible benefits to everyone's well-being which would probably make the economic benefits moot. Ultimately, the amount of money we would save from global peace becomes pretty muh just a rhetorical question.
  12. People making buggy whips lost their jobs when cars came along. People running railroads lost their jobs when airlines took over much of the transit of goods cross country.

People always lose jobs, they find new ones. Or they turn to crime.

13. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Who says crime isn't a job? Sheesh.

And the hours suck. :D
  14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've always thought that conflict is inherent to human existence, and I don't see that changing anytime soon :meh:
  15. Can't eliminate crime until you eliminate money. Once everybody can get whatever they want, crime will go away.

From the documentaries I've seen, once money is eliminated and world peace is at hand, creatures called "Klingons" will attempt to subjugate us, and we'll be fighting them instead of each other. So life will apparently always be a struggle.

16. "It never...gets...any...easier!"

My real question is whether this thread will get out of hand by the time I'm back from class. I leave it to you guys!
  17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    bIjatlh 'e' yImev !
  18. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Would you be quoting the Oh My God song?
  19. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    neither total anarchy is the way to go
  20. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Keep in mind that not everyone will EVER agree on a single system for justice. In somp parts of the world "vendetta" or "bloood feud" still rules. Justice lies in the hands of the injured party. The idea of a justice system is alien to them, and they will fight it.

Also, who will come up with this system? Who will impose it? Who will chose them? What guarantee does anyone have that they will be just and not become corrupt?

Conflict is natural and nothing is changing that. History is steeped in injustice, corruption, crime and conflict. It''s not changing.