Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WORLD RECORD gauge bass string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gregory Bruce Campbell, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    :bag:

I just finished making my first bass string in my garage... :eyebrow:

I do not have a micrometer handy at home today so my best guess using a tape measure is that its roughly 5/16" of an inch thick. however that converts...

I also do not have the ability to take a picture and post it.

I am taking it to the NAMM show to deliver to a bass builder that i admire:

Skip Fantry of Knuckle basses

Its merely a gift for Skip and I wont be making any more bass strings...

so when you do finally see it... and EVERYONE wants one, dont ask :rollno: ... i dont think i can pull it off a second time.

It was really tough to make at home!

Securing the ball end was serioulsy difficult!

It will belong to Skip, hopefully he will be able to post some pictures of it???

:ninja:

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    World Record? I mean, for that you'd have to pass a Double Bass string...or a subcontra bass...

3. dude, subcontra strings are like .195" according to his measurement he has like a .465"

!

4. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Yikes, Greg! That's a .3125" diameter!

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I've seen bigger.

[​IMG]

6. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    What would you tune that to? A few octaves below low C#?

7. How funky!Seriously though that thing cannot actually be fitted on a bass right?Damn i think i'm going to have reoccuring nightmares of me trying to pop on that thing!SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?YOU HAVE CREATED A MONSTER!!!

8. Baron

Baron

Jan 4, 2004
    Seattle
    The string was presented to Skip at NAMM. Skip was taken back by both the huge girth of the string and GBC's development prowess (not to mention huge generosity).

The string was attached to the handles of two 4x12-guitar cabs with c-clamps and pulled to tension by three booth babes (Dean girls). A 12lb magnet wrapped in copper wire provided by Q-tuner was suspended under the string. Amplification consisted of a Bag End Elf system (21") and an Accugroove El Whappo Grande (21") driven by an 8,000 watt amp on loan from Crown.

Gene Simmons, who was in attendance at NAMM, was kind enough to lend his bass playing services by plucking the huge single string with his gianormous tongue. The resulting pitch was measured at 1 Hz by a Peterson strobe tuner and is believed to be tuned to the same fundamental as a black hole. The Guiness Book people are verifying whether this is a record low note. I will advise.

A brown sound experience to say the least. Good times……

9. Then Chuck Norris proceeded to shove the string up his urethra to get his own bladder culture.

10. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    GBC you're the coolest:D

11. How close are we getting to the brown note?

I'm dying to just whip out a 70" scale 1 string bass tuned to the brown note and make an entire stadium of people crap their pants.

We are one step closer to the ultimate bassist prank.

12. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    supposedly you would need a ridiculously large subwoofer to be able to play the brown note. But yes, it would be great. Although, you, too, would have to change your underpants before continuing with the show.

13. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Not if you fast for 3 days before hand. Plus, you can kill the sustain when you're about to lose it.

14. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    prune juice, laxatives, fasting, a neck brace, and a custom AccuGroove 4 x 21" cabinet!

15. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    1Hz definitely isn't the note of a black hole

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/blackhole_note_030909.html

i bet it still sounds sweet though :)

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I want pictures of this thing, if possible.

17. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Run it through an Ashdown head with the suboctave feature at full crank.. :crying: I pooped thinking about it.

18. SOMEONE POST THIS BEAST ALREADY! Geez,I want to see it!

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

According to Guinness World Book, the lowest note in the universe is a Low B Flat, 17 octaves LOWER than Middle C.

Guinness is my bathroom reader :)

20. Dude. Get some REALLY nice noise cancelling headphones and an ipod. Blast, and i mean BLAST some HEAVY music like Rage or Metallica, and go ahead and hit the brown note.:D

But seriously, No pictures, No bass. No pictures, No bass string.;)