Worlds most expensive bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Does anyone know what it is and/or have some pics? I would love to see it, the most expensive ive ever played is 10,000 bucks, a spector, though im sure thats not the most expensive,
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    The instructor at my school has a multi hundred thousand dollar upright.
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Hmmm, I would say it's probably one that has a history with a particular player. Maybe Jaco's fretless jazz, or McCartney's Hofner. On some level how can you even put a price on those types of things?

As far as new instruments, with custom builders I suppose the sky is the limit. I mean you can always spec something a bit more exotic. Not pricey enough, cover the body in gold leaf, add titanium hardware, get an inlay of the ceiling of the sistine chapel... You can just keep adding things like that I suppose...
  4. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i saw in ebay jaco`s jazz bass once..... they were asking 20.000 dollars for it......
  5. except that wasnt jacos bass, his bass was stolen...
  6. oh yeah, forgot what i meant to post here, theres always the carl thompson million dollar bass ;)
  7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    it was jaco's bass and the whole thing is documented on the website
  8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

If it was really Jaco's "Bass of Doom" ( I believe that's the one that was stolen) it probably sold real quickly for 20,000. Some guys on this web site would gladly pay 20,000 for that bass.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Warrior had an inlaid encrusted 12 string that they were asking 27k for.
  10. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    My Reverend Brad Houser 5 in Lava Swirl is for sale for ten gazillion dollars.

Shipping is extra.

You want a case?
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I saw some Warriors that listed for like, 50K +
  12. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004

As someone mentioned earlier, an old upright is going to bring MUCH more money than an electric. On the electric front though, Fodera's go for exorbitant amounts of money. Check out:

Convert the Yen to Dollars and. . .
  13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
  14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Hmmmm...I have an old Global JB copy with a genuine Fender case...I'll consider offers starting at $500K....
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my doubleneck is for sale for 1 bajillion dollars. cash. :hyper:
  16. I've seen some Alembics list for over $100,000.
  17. The Amati bass now owned by Gary Karr is generally considered "priceless". Moreso because it was made by the Amati family and owned by very prominent people than because of it's sound, it still sounds good though.

The most I've ever seen electric stuff sell for is probably $20-30k which is pretty nuts when you consider that's about what you pay for an entry level professional instrument if you're in an orchestra.
  18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think it's mine.

Well according to my wife. :D
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hell, in that case, my back up SX! Listening to her, you'd think I spent Jalen's college fund!