1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worlds oldest newest bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    Yes indeed!

The worlds oldest newest bass

Body - 50,000 year old Ancient Kauri
    Fingerboard - Fretless Bocote
    Neck - Ebony
    Pup Config - P/J

WONB1.jpg

2. Just curious, how do you know this wood is 50,000 years old?

RichSnyder and Thomas Kievit like this.
  3. Counted the rings?

4. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I purchased it from these guys
    http://www.ancientwood.com/faq/

They sent me a letter of certification.

bholder, EoganDubh and Morten_B like this.
  5. This is awesome. Can't wait to see the build!

pacojas likes this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Extremely-old-growth Kauri! What's the weight like?

7. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Interesting project! I personally do subscribe to the idea that the wood makes a difference in the tone of an instrument (it gets debated here, periodically), so I'm wondering what you anticipate this combination will sound like--apart from the beauty of the woods.

8. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Palm Bay, FL
    One way to find out for sure is to save some of the shavings or other leftover wood and send it to a radiocarbon lab for analysis. It'll cost about $400 and they only need a tiny, tiny bit to test with.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  9. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    That's really cool! How heavy is the ebony for the neck?

10. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    the prices on the wood was much better than I expected!

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    is this gonna be the build thread?

12. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    Just by holding the body blank, I'd say it a tad lighter than mahogany

It's heavy as you would expect ebony to be, but not overly heavy. I am working on another ebony neck, and it's turning out quite nicely. I'd say the finished product is going to come in at a weight just slightly over what a Wenge neck might be. I'll be setting the neck deep into the body. I'm hoping to make this a 33" scale, but because I'm setting the neck deep, I might not be able to get a pup in a "standardized" P location. Still working out the details

Yes, this is going to be the build thread

13. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    One thing that's still up in the air....how to cut the neck

When I bought the piece, I thought that I would be able to get a bass and a guitar neck out of this. My original intent was to have a completely black neck for this build. But the coloring on the light portion of the ebony is almost a perfect match for the body, and it would be a nice esthetic to have for the headstock. So to take advantage of that, I would have to cut out the neck out of the middle of the piece, and as a result, I would loose out on getting 2 necks out of the deal. Right now I'm leaning towards making the headstock in the area between the 2 pens, and just get one neck out of the ebony

An alternative would be to cut the headstock at the end of the board, but there's a streak in there. So bottom line, with the streak comes an extra neck.

Oh yeah, found some buffalo horn nut blanks. I like the color combo.

WONB2.jpg

bluesdogblues likes this.
  14. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: DarkglassElectronics-MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Hipshot
    very cool thread... subscribed

15. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Intrigued!

Two thoughts regarding the neck:

1. If you cut the bass neck out of the center, couldn't you still have enough left over for a two-piece guitar neck? Or possibly augment those two pieces with a third?

2. Consider chambering the neck. This has been mentioned a rare few times here, but I'm going to try it soon myself. Near as I can figure, if you have a single truss rod down the center, you could hollow out on either side with very little loss of strength. I think it would be similar to routing for carbon rods, but just skipping the actual rods...

16. jacobsmithbass_

jacobsmithbass_ Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Randyt, steweDbass and Carl Hillman like this.
  17. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I really have no idea on it's tonal makeup. I have never used 50000 year old wood, and I've never used Bocote for a fingerboard.

I am probably going to put a 3band preamp, so I don't know if the whole tone wood debate comes into play.

In reality, yes, the wood probably has an influence on the tone. How much is the great debate.

18. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
  19. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    1) Hmmmm....didn't think about it that way. Yeah I probably will. Thanks
    2) In that this is a flatsawn piece, I was considering putting in some CF rods, more from a stability standpoint. But with the weight, this is a bit of an experiment. I'm actually looking to have a little more mass in the neck.

20. Wait a minute! According to the bible, the world is only 6,000 years old. What gives? ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021