Worlds shortest gig report - playing outside in 37 degrees

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by richntiff, Apr 28, 2018.

1. I had great intentions of actually making my first gig report. But... it was cold! 37 degrees at noon when we started playing, a balmy 46 by the time we finished our second set at 3pm.... Spring in northern Wisconsin.... notice the snow bank on the left.....

DB909085-0A6C-49C4-9301-1B8C9D78D5AC.jpeg

mike o, Jimmy4string, SWRnut and 11 others like this.
  2. Been there, done that. We have played more than once in low forty degree temps. After a while there's just no way to keep your fingers warm enough to function properly. Even tried gloves with the finger tips cut off, still a no-go after a while. Used to play at an outdoor craft show and market twice a month on Saturday mornings. One time the temp was in the high 30's with a brisk wind. We cancelled that day and lost the gig going forward. I guess the event manager decided we weren't hardy enough for them and hired a flute player to replace us; I wonder how long that lasted.

Thump on,

One_Dude

Artman, mikewalker and richntiff like this.
  3. Been there, won't do it again....

DrayMiles, JMacBass65 and richntiff like this.
  4. First set was tough. Git player and I muscled through - second set at least the sun was on us lol! There were not a lot of fancy bass fills !! But the sound of those Harley’s - oh man, did I want one....

punchdrunk, mikewalker and BassCliff like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Wow! Youze cold weather guys is sumpthin' :woot: You have my respect and sympathy. :thumbsup:

48 is the coldest outdoor gig I played, just once, and I couldn't feel my fingers all night.

6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    where in 's,cony ?

7. I do like the "double barrel" motif. Are those supporting the mains or are they just decorations?

wintremute and Artman like this.
  8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Thanks for the picture! It looks like you can make some good noise with that setup even with snow on the ground. But I know it's no fun playing when it's too cold. It was 92°F when we started our gig yesterday afternoon. I'll put up a report in a little while.

I think I like your "tip box", don't think I've ever seen one. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

richntiff likes this.
  9. Our drummer built the tip box out of some white oak they harvested and had milled into planks - nice rustic touch :thumbsup: Heavy bugger though!

We made noise. Some of it might have even been good.....

92? I’d be complaining about the heat!!!!!

10. They are just decorative - mains are on the poles passing through the barrels. They are actual bourbon barrels though - our guitar player owns and operates a micro-distillery.

BassCliff, Artman and mikewalker like this.
  11. Way up nort hey - Minocqua area....

12. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    that any where near Ashland ?

13. I’m about 1.5 hours south/east of Ashland.....

14. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada
    I saw the thread title and thought I was going to read about gigging somewhere hot, not cold (as in 37 degrees celcius).

McG likes this.
  15. Last night we played an outdoor show at a campground in Wisconsin Rapids. When we finished it was 27. That was our coldest gig.

16. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    Played a gig in Duluth last night down in Canal Park right by the lakewalk. There had been talk of it being outdoors, but it did turn out to be inside. We ended up having 6 people set up in a space where two would be crowded, ha! The deck outside would have been a nice place to play, but the icy wind off of Lake Superior would have been tough. Kudos to you guys for going on with the show!

McG and richntiff like this.
  17. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test...

You guys are making me cold just reading about these cold weather gigs!

JRA and McG like this.
  18. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Ditto.

Renaissance likes this.
  19. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    We played hockey day Minnesota outside this year, fortunately it had warmed up to 35 degrees. The week before temps were single digits. I have to wonder about our sanity when it comes to booking these gigs... but I actually preferred it to the 95 degree summer gigs.

A couple hand-warmers tucked in the back of cut off wool gloves can do wonders

c43d9207b98cedb4c4047cbf5dedebdc.jpg

mikew31, McG and BassCliff like this.
  20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Being a warm weather coastal dweller I do better at 95 than 45, although both are brutal.

Now THAT is a good idea! :cool:

All I would have left to do to survive a cold gig is tape a couple of warmers to my face. :D

TheReceder likes this.