Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

worn down paint

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rexspangle, Dec 9, 2001.

1. You ever see people who have the paint on their guitar worn down to bare wood. Is this even possible or do they just fake it and want us to think they have just practiced so much?

anyone have an istrument that they actually truthfully did this too. I am curios too know.

I have had some instrument for years and this has never happened. Of course some wear on the fret board and a beaten up body -but never sanding it down with my flesh to bear wood.

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Not cool...A true player that practices and plays alot, and knows how to play, doesn't need a banged up instrument to show that they play alot. They need to sound good.

:rolleyes:

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    A big reason for that was Fender use to have a certain property (forget what it was) in their paint that made the finish wear off prematurely. They have since quit using that paint for enviromental reasons. But that's a big reason the older Fenders would look that way.

I haven't played any of my instruments enough to do that. (I've worn off the intials that were on the pickups though :D ) If I do eventually do that to one of my basses, I will actually be proud of it, and play it like that. (I always said I would get it refinished, but I've changed my mind over the years)

I know a guy who played an archtop bass, and he actually wore a hole in the body from playing it. (not sure if he was a pick or finger player)

4. someone find a pick of SRV's guitar. that thing was beat to hell. he used to stand on the body of the guitar and pull at the neck untill both he and the guitar were off the ground. he would also fling it about by the whammy bar.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Fenders and other instruments(Gibson, Gretsch, etc) used to be coated with nitrocellulose lacquer. A lot of people feel that lacquer is the best finish(besides oil) because the thin finish does not choke the natural tone of the wood. Besides its purported tonal superiority, it wears down pretty quickly, and also gets checks in it when exposed to sudden extreme changes in temperature.

Almost all manufacturers nowadays use a thick hard finish, like polyester or hardened polyurethane. These finishes do not wear down like the lacquer finish, but a lot of people feel that they are so thick and hard that little of the tonal character of the wood comes through.

Polyester is cheaper and easier to apply, and doesn't give off a lot of the noxious VOC's that spraying lacquer does. Environmental regulations have made nitrocellulose lacquer prohibitively expensive to use, and only the most expensive guitars have it.

6. Thats really interesting to know. Worn off paint does seem very popular on fenders. And I thought it was only too be cool :D.

7. I guess you can get one of the Fender Relics if you want to fool people! :p

A few years ago I saw Sting on SNL and he was playing an older Fender(can`t recall if it was a J or a P) that was all worn away on the body.Looked cool!

8. It was probably his 54 (57?) Precision. It looks pretty cool :D

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A lot of it has to do with your style, the clothes you wear when you play, etc. I played with a guitar player that always wore a Levis denim jacket when he played. In three years, his stat was mutilated.

Even the pH of your perspiration can effect the finish. Some people's body chemistry is different than others.

And the exact oposite it true. I never play wearing jeans or other abrasive clothes. Use nickel strings with low action and a very light touch. I always wipe down the bass after every use. I have an L2500 that I have played 15-20 a week for more than two years and other than some VERY slight fret wear, it looks as if it has never been played.

It is all about the user.

when I was younger, I used to wear the bass kind of high and prop my right arm on the body. I stopped doing it when an instructor told me that was why my hand would start going numb after an hour or so. But in the two years, that I did it, I wore the finish off the leading edge of the top of the body on an MIJ jazz bass that was my main axe. A thin line about 1/8" or so right accross the top.

Chas

Chas