worn fretless fingerboard.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WarThumb, Jan 24, 2006.

1. WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005

I found a Warwick Nobby Meidel fretless bass, rather cheap. With the EMG pickups.
    Problem is, the owner told me the fingerboard was worn do it's fretlessness :)rolleyes: ). The wood is worn from "fret" 15 to "fret" 24, at the G-string. I haven't seen it yet, but I will this week.
    Question is, what to look for. Is it possible that is is so worn (from use, not accidents) that it's rubbish, or is it mainly cosmetic wear these fretless basses suffer from? As you understand I'm not too familiar with fretless basses..
  2. WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Hmm.. Guess I'll look at it and see what needs to be done.
  3. yeah... i had to get that done to my upright... cost me a good 150 bucks... probabibly alot less for an electric though
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I found that there is a big difference in pricing between a Rosewood fretless and a Maple fretless. Re-planing a Rosewood neck cost me right about $75 to remove sting grooves and such. My maple 1978 P fretless cost me almost $200 due to having to have it refinished on top of everything else.
  5. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    You could always have this company bring the fretboard back to life.

It's pricey, but looks like he does excellent work.

I have a Warwick Corvette Fretless on the way. Perhaps, in the future, I will have this done to my bass.

I like the fact he can add fret lines , which, for a novice fretless player like myself, would be great.