Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

worn frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Viviuos, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Good morning everybody, my question today is this. I bought my bass used and the guy before me used roundwounds (stupid roundwounds) and because of that some of my frets are worn down. That causes me to have higher action then i would like. Although it is still fairly easy to play. Is there a way i can repair my frets myself or do i have to send it somewhere?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Are they worn like, having divots? Or are they worn (like my old bass,) just having marks from where he pressed down? If there's just marks, you can probably polish it out. I took my frets off my bass with the worn frets anyways.

I hope that helps. :meh:

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Anyone with the proper tools can file frets, but by the time you buy the tools and acquiring the training and experience to do it well, you are better off taking it in to a luthier to have it done right. If the frets are properly levelled you can get the action ridiculously low.

4. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I thought that was the same thing. Oh well, on some frets its gouged out where the string rubs against it. If i ever get another bass i will indeed defret this one

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    If there is still metal left on the frets, they can be filed and the bass will be useable again. If the fret is worn completely out, then you would need a refret. Now I don't know how much your bass is worth, but these are jobs that can be done for less than $200 if my memory serves me correctly. If you don't have a local luthier, then contact Michael Dolan via email for a quote. If you can take pictures of your frets, that will help him tell you what needs to be done.

6. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    oh yeah, there is still quite a bit of metal on them, they are definitely playable. Some of them have their tops flattaned, almost like the string sanded down the very top of the fret. The problem i am having is sometimes that the next fret is not "sanded" so the string buzzes on that fret. Which is why i have to raise my action just a little bit.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Take your bass to a local luthier and get a quote on a fret leveling. They will file all you frets and make them even and then you can bring your action down.

8. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have the same problem on my fender...have played stainless roundwounds on it for about a year, and have chewed the frets too hell. Its either time for a leveling...or...taking them off! :)
    Having two fretlesses seems kinda frivolous...too much of a good thing:)

9. If you must play roundwounds (and YES, WE MUST) then regular fretwork is a necessity. I prefer the sound of nickel strings and these don't harm the frets nearly as much. Plus, technique has a lot to do with fret wear, as well.

Take the bass to a decent luthier. Get a good fret dressing and set up and play the hell out it.

10. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Is there a service that will find a luthier in my area for me. I live in close to Omaha Nebraska.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    My recommendation is to talk to the local music store and ask them.

12. I did a Yahoo! search for "Omaha Luthier" and I came up with this guy...W.A. Petersen... http://www.petersenstringshop.com/

I'm not promoting the guy...I know nothing about him...there's most likely more...but at least here's a lead. But my feeling is...If the guy can make mandolins, he can surely dress frets on a bass.