Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

worn places

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Shomy, Nov 22, 2004.

1. I have '73 Framus Jaguar. the problem is that on the neck there are several worn places from playing. They are not big, yet they are there. Is it recomendable that i take it to a luthier, so that he can sand it then put new finish on it, or should I ignore it. they don't give me problems till I play but i don't want to damage my bass

2. I assume you are describing missing finish on a maple area of the bass. That isn't good. Eventually the maple will discolor - usually grey but sometimes green, and it isn't correctable except by removing the layer of wood with the staining. Since this is important to you, I would certainly get it looked over by a pro.

3. it has turned gray already. will that have bad influence on sound or in any other way. I need all the advice i an get

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Buy a new bass!

Preserve your antique bass for your first child, who may not be as discriminating as you!... ;) Like mine! :D

5. thor, r u being ironic or you really think i should get a new one? i'm not discriminating i'm just ignorant :crying: i think ignorance and discrimination always come in pair :p

6. No, Thor is a "clean slate" sort of guy. He'll explain.

It won't hurt the sound and the more it gets stained the more "mojo" it will seem to have. You've seen all those old Tele's and Strat's with all the finish worn off? Keep at it and you'll have one just like'em.

7. mmmm... mojo :smug: i like the idea
    thanks 4 your help

8. Thor

Hambone, I seriously think he should look for a new instrument.
    But that is only my humble opinion .

I went through the same issue, reconstructing my old EB3 or getting a new bass. My money was spent more effectively on new bass acquisition. The dollars spent to rehab this bass would be better spent
    with a new bass.

Best to all

Thor

9. Thor

If I was not clear, please let me clarify.

I think often the best solution for novices is to

1> Concentrate on playing technique
    2> Upgrade to adequate equipment

It doesn't have to be the best, it just has to be serviceable.

Don't waste money upgrading this bass, just look for a better one and upgrade. Then sell this one.

But that is only my opinion, other people here may differ in
    their analysis.

Happy playing
    Thor

10. Thor

That is a good point, and one I did not consider. At 52 years of age,
    rehabbing old basses is not as exciting as it used to be when I was
    younger. That was before I 'grew up'.

I am lucky to have a good luthier, and he would fix just about anything. With a maple neck, a refinish or touch up might be good.
    On a rosewood neck, I would suggest a tung oil rub.

But as you grow as a musician, you may want a better instrument.
    I waited 30 years to do this, and should have done it 28 years
    earlier.

I think that covers all the issues and clarifies what I tried to say succintly in 4 words before. ;)

Take care.

T

11. Yeah, I think you should keep the Framus "as is" and get a new, more modern instrument. I don't know if vintage Framuses are worth anything, but if so, any modification could alter its resale value.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, you need a new instrument, but keep the old one! don't get rid of it

i'll be happy to store it for you! :D

13. well, on the net i've found one from '71 which was evaluated for 500 euros which is exactly 615 $, which is not so bad. It is in just a wee bit better condition then mine. But i'm not intent on selling it.