1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worried about ABG bridge pulling off

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by josiah goldfish, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Hi guys!
    So i've decide to buy a Harley Benton acoustic fretless, but it comes with acoustic rounds. The thing is, I want to put on flats (not acoustic, coz I can't find any) but I'm worried that they might pull up the laminated face or the bridge. Is this going to be a problem or am I over-thinking things? Also, what type of strings should I use to minimise risk? I'm assuming something low-tension but I don't what strings actually are low tension :S
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Joe

2. Any help? I know loads of you have ABG's, anyone know the answer?

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes if they have too high a tension if they dont pull bridge up you will notice the top beginning to become concave right in front of bridge. Not good.:) Read specs. D'Addario publishes their tensions.
    By the way DR ABG strings are the most musical non brash sounding strings I've played though they look like everyone else's bronze rounds.

4. I think flats are a no-no on ABGs. Not sure where I read it, though.

5. Another thing: I don't have much money to spend on strings (about £30 at the very max ATM) so thomastik etc is out of the question.
    I'll look into the doctors as well, thanks.
    On d'addario's website, the string tension is the same on rounds and flats. The set that comes on the bass is 50-105, but the flats from d'addario are 40-90. Does anyone know whether the d'addario's will have less less tension? I've read that they're quite loose for flats. I've also seen loads of videos of people using flats on an ABG so:
    1) they sounded pretty good so I don't know where you got that rumour from (not trying to be rude or anything, I value your opinion)
    2) if other people are doing it without problems does that mean I won't

Looks like I might just suck it up and buy some decent acoustic strings. I would really like flats though if I can pull it off, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys :)

6. Also I'm slightly worried about the rounds wearing down the cheap rosewood fingerboard which is another reason I'd prefer flats.

7. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Flats are totally fine. Just get a set with the same or less tension than the same gauge rounds you are using. Chromes are perfect if you get one of the lighter sets.

8. Great because I was thinking about d'addario's lightest set of flats. Should I probably go for their regular light set (or whatever they're called, they're one set thicker than their lightest set and I think they're wrapped wit the pink logo)?

9. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    This.

Once the top bows up, it ruins action, intonation, everything. And it's a costly repair from what I've heard.

10. Ok guys, so the strings that come on it are just plain rounds (had another look at the site) in the gauge 50-100. Will d'addario's have a similar tension to these in their lower gauges?

11. Hey guys, i've decided I'm gonna wing it and try the d'addario chromes. If it starts to damage the bass I'll change to acoustic strings.
    Thanks for the advice,
    Joe

12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Any decent ABG should be able to handle some tension. The instruments are air pumps, driven by the bridge. The higher the string tension, the more volume you get.

However, very few ABGs are actually decent acoustic instruments, rather being "acoustic guitar shaped" instruments. Have you considered contacting the manufacturer?

John

13. Yeah I contacted today regarding other things (like no neck strap button, I asked whether there were any bolts in the heel to be careful of if I stuck my own on) if they get back to me I'll ask about strings

14. Thomann says it's fine, apparently loads of people do it :)

15. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I run regular D'Addario Chromes on my ABG, had that set on for many years now, no problems at all.

D'Addario Chromes actually have LESS tension then D'Addario's phosphor-bronze "ABG" set.

I highly recommend them to anyone wanting the goodness of flatwounds on their ABG.

HondoChromes5-1.

16. Woohoo! Alright, that's good enough for me (just want any excuse really) I'm ordering some flats for my new cheapo bass! (when it arrives obviously) thanks DogBone