1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

worried about my faulty bass getting ruined

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harry Grossman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Harry Grossman

Harry Grossman

Apr 9, 2010
    VA
    i have an ibanez sr1000efm(ntf) and recently ive had problems with the sound not working and it making horrible noises. i also recently found a link on ibanez's website that says that i can get a new battery compartment, which is possibly the reason its doing this(link:http://www.ibanez.com/support/bassnotice) . first, im wondering if even though my local dealer probably isnt ibanez certified, that they can fix my bass. also, im worried they might mess up and ruin my bass.i only say this because im being a paranoid 13 year old :spit:. im still not sure what the problem is. whenever i try to play, it sometimes stops making sound, i adjust the knobs and wait, and itll boom with sound, and then go quiet again. it really varies from there on. thanks for the info!

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    First off, you need to find what the problem is. Yes, it COULD be the battery box, but it could also be a jack or loose wire or who knows what. So just take it to a decent repair guy and have him trace the problem down.

Now the battery box "recall" seems to have to do with the fact that that model lets you install the battery backwards! Take our word for it, you DO NOT want to do that EVER! It's a disaster waiting to happen. And by Mr. Murphy [It's called Murphy's Law it goes: IF something CAN go bad, sooner or later (usually sooner) it WILL go bad!] you don't want that hanging over your head.

The problem with the recall is that Ibanez apparently will only allow "authorized dealers" to do the fix. It's not even sure a normal repair shop can even BUY the part! They say they'll happily tell you where the nearest authorized dealer is, but it may be 200 miles away. In such case buying the part and having it installed is probably wise in spite of the cost.

So first fix the problem and then deal with the recall issue. They MAY both be the same, but only someone who knows what they are doing can tell for sure.

3. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Unless they toss it across the room at a brick wall they won't "mess up and ruin" the bass.

If it obviously needs fixing why not take a look yourself and become familiar with the guts of your bass. sometimes the problem is quite obvious. i.e. loose wire, poor jack tension, cold solder joint. You won't ruin it by peeking.

Look through these and just get comfortable with the idea. You don't need to fully comprehend it immediately. If and when you do take it in, ask them to show you the problem and what they did to fix it as you are curious and want to learn.

We all "gotta" start somewhere.