1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worried about using in-amp distortion...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevin_BlueBASS, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Hey guys,
    I've got a Yorkville XS400C 1x15 combo and it is sweet!
    I've been experimenting with the distorion/ tube overdrive circuit and I turn the drive around 4/5
    the way to get an awesome Cliff Burton sound coupled with my Dunlop 105Q, but I'm concerned-
    if I play high (around 3/5 the way up)volumes when I'm jamming (havent used OD when jamming with my band yet...)
    will the amp or speaker get damaged in any way? I dont want to have to replace the Eminence custom or the tubes just for having a fun little tone...
    Am I just overreacting?
    Thanks guys!
    Peace
    :bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's possible but usually a combo designed for it will be able to take it. Just use your ears and common sense and you'll be fine. And don't preamp your combo to the ends of the earth with the distortion. Try to keep it even with the volume of your combo at all times.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The amp itself cannot get damaged in that way. The 15" speaker generally won't get damaged in that way. If it has a tweeter, and if you crank the amp all the way up, you might fry the tweeter. Fortunately tweeters are easy and not too expensive to replace.

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1

OP, with the novelty of intentional sound distortion (and feedback) at high volumes, it's easy to get carried away on a Hendix or Cliff vibe and fry a voice coil (I've cooked three).

Thus it's worth bearing in mind that the 15", 8 ohm Eminence driver in your rig is rated for 250 watts, whereas its amp can put out ~ 200 watts into an 8 ohm load (400 watts into a min. 4 ohm load when an 8 ohm extension cabinet is also being used).

Key point: your rig is a bass combo--not a Marshall stack.
    Please be careful.​

Therefore, in addition to being careful with your use of volume (not to mention your hearing--good earplugs can be a career extender), you may wish to add a matching 15", 8 ohm cab to your combo if you're bent upon being a noisy bass player. :)

As for your amp's tweeter?

"...A feature unique and solely exclusive to the XS400C and XS400TC is the ''Tweeter Auto Mute'' switch located on the rear panel. Under normal operating conditions the tweeter will automatically shut off when the Tube Drive is activated, whether by front panel control or footswitch. This helps to reduce the harshness in the higher frequency range that is typical of an overdriven sound going through a tweeter. If you desire the tweeter to be active in the overdrive mode then simply press the switch to disengage the mute feature. This is very handy if you typically do not desire an overdrive sound and set the tube drive setting off, or the wet /dry all the way to dry. This will allow you to either be able to shut the tweeter completely off by activating the drive channel and the Tweeter Auto Mute both, or even further use the footswitch to give you on/off control of the tweeter..."

I recall reading somewhere that this feature did not always work right (it's been replaced on the current version of your rig, the Traynor DynaBass 400, with a "global Tweeter Defeat/Active Switch").

You might want to download your combo's manual and confirm its operation before OD-ing on the db's. :bassist: :D