1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worry about stacking?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maestrosteve, Sep 13, 2008.

1. This is really something that we didn't have to think about in the past.
    So many of the new cabs are made from such a lightweight wood, held together by glue, certainly not like the heavy cabs from just a few years ago. It's not just the lightweight NEO drivers that make these cabs lighter anymore.

I remember 200+ pound guys sitting on their cabs, or putting them on carts and stacking lots of heavy gear on top. I'm not sure that I'd feel comfortable doing that today.

Do you ever worry that putting another heavy cab on top of your newer lightweight cab will crush it, break it, etc? Are there any precautions that you take with your lighter cabs? I think with the thinner lightweight wood being used, it's something to think about.

Ever consider it, or am I worrying about it needlessly?

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    wouldnt concern me honestly.

3. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    if the cab is constructed properly, and you're talking pure gravity loads, i wouldn't think you need be worried...as we progress, technology and understanding of static forces means we'll see a lot more things that are lighter, thinner, but just as strong if not moreso

i'm glad too, because it's much easier carrying in a couple of 35 lb cabs and setting them onstage than it was lifting an old 810 up:hyper:

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    No concern. My 17-pound cab can support another 17 pounds.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    stacking cabs on one another...NO PROBLEM...sitting on them...probably no problem unless they are made of cardboard... :bag:

p.s. I use to STAND on my two 110 cabs so I could feel the bass, at home not at a gig....that would look silly...:D BTW I'm 200 Lbs....

6. most of my cabs are pretty sturdy, so i really have no problem

7. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    A properly made cabinet with modern adhesives and good joinery will be every bit as strong, if not stronger than anything made in the past. Most of the cabinets using thinner 1/2" plywood are internally braced, making them very strong. If you do sit on one that caves in, then I strongly suggest switching brands!

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    haha...how true!!

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    the ONLY thing I ever worry about when stacking is the potential for the stack to be knocked over. When stacking I would tend to try and get cabinets of equal proportions especially depth. I really don't like stacking a an 18" deep cab on top of a 16" deep cab. Vice Versa, no problem; but what if the shallower cab is the low-end cab (like a 15")...maybe problem...but that's just me, there's probably nothing wrong with it.

Then there's the issue of center of gravity. I use an SVT 2-Pro. 70 lbs.; heavier than all of my cabs (1x15, 4x10, 2x10...not combined ofcourse)). The heaviest section on top also makes it easier to knock over.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a 29 pound cab and I have sat on it on multiple occasions. I never even thought to worry about it.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have been playing more private parties... and I now worry more about a drunk knocking over the stack. We don't have the protection of a stage. And the drunk is always a relative/best friend of the host and they find it funny :rollno:

12. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Oh, you'd better believe it.
    I had a new lightweight cab with neodymium drivers that was crushed under the weight of an old ampeg SVT. Squashed like a grape ... t'was horrible.

13. I knew I couldn't be the only one who thought about it. I must admit, I'm really surprised by the number of replies where people feel that it's not a topic worth considering.
    I removed a driver from a lightweight cab, and noticed how thin the wood was. I'm sure the quality of that wood is great and as strong as you can get for that thickness because it is from a major cab maker that I totally respect and gets lots of respect in these forums, but it made me think about how it might hold up under the weight of a heavy case.
    I love that it is lightweight, no complaints there, in fact that is the reason I bought it, but I just worry about it caving in under certain circumstances.

14. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    what brands and models did you and kpax use???

so we all can steer clear of them....

was it your flite bass cab??? why can't I find a website...:bag:

15. I never had a cab dent or get crushed. I only asked if anyone worries about it because of the lightweight cabs and thin wood used.

Kpax will have to chime in about his crushed cab, but with things changing all the time (changes in wood quality, etc...), I wouldn't hold it against that manufacturer. They are all using thin wood and the same cab building techniques. We all want lighter cabs, and there's a price to pay.

I spend a lot of money on excellent quality equipment, and I'm very particular and cautious of how it is handled.
    It's amazing how many band members will come over and just sit on your cab like it's a stool and not even think they could do damage. Like I said, I've never experienced any damage, but if I saw someone sit on my lightweight cab, I'd have to kill them. They'll be interviewing my band members on the TV news and they say "Steve was such a nice guy, we had no idea he had it in him to kill the singer".

Maybe we need to hear from a cab builder or manufacturer. I know the Genz-Benz people are here, and I read in these forums how the Neo 112T is 4lbs lighter this year than last year because of a lighter weight wood. I have a tremendous respect for that company (and I really hate to single them out because of that respect) and I know they'd never put out a product that wasn't real solid, but there has to be a reasonable limit on the amount of weight that a cab like that can take before it's damaged.

As for the Flite cab (which by the way I no longer own), I have no idea how much weight would damage a cab like that. It's not made of a solid wood, although the material is thicker. Certain parts of the cab were 2 inches thick. That doesn't mean it's any more solid, just thicker with lighter material.
    You asked about the Flite cab because I posted owning one in previous posts. I have other boutique brand cabs that are very highly regarded, expensive, have great reputations and are talked about on these forums constantly.
    I'm not complaining- I bought them because they were lightweight, and I don't regret it. I will just continually wonder if these lightweight cabs are safe with any substantial weight on top of them.

For the record, I don't own any Genz-Benz cabs, I just love their stuff and respect their presence in these forums, which is why I even mentioned them.

16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I happen to sit on one pretty regularly, others do too, and frankly I've never seen one crushed ever (except for impact damage like falling off a truck or being skewered by a forklift).

The smaller cabinets do use very high quality wood (void free plywood) and with small panel areas and high sheer resisting baffles/back panels they are probably stronger than a traditional heavy cabinet... especially those made from particle board, MDF or waferboard.

17. I respect your concerns about this, but I've never had concern & frankly I'd be very wary of buying a cab that was that flimsy!!