1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worship and Praise Bassist (Bands)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FenderHotRod, Nov 20, 2018.

1. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I’ve just recently got into playing bass at my church sometimes. I’m looking to get into this, but some of the bands/groups I have found I really just don’t like.
    Is there any bands/groups that have some really bass players.

So far I have Casting Crowns.

Thanks,

2. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    In CCM the first name I heard was Norm Stockton in the Lincoln Brewster band/ministry. Urban Gospel, African Quartet are all more bass driven styles and there are many bands to look at. From the CCM/Urban Gospel fusion groups from the 90s like Ron Kenoly or Alvin Slaughter with Abraham Laborial getting many of the gigs to Israel and the New Breed in the last 15 -20 years would be the first names to pop to mind.

FenderHotRod likes this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Justin Raines .plays bass for Israel and New Breed.
    Also check out Sharay Reed on YouTube.

Also Toddy Funk Lawton plays with Toby Mac. Great bass player as well.

Plus one on Norm Stockton with Lincoln Brewster and Abraham Laboriel with Alvin Slaughter .

Oh and Josh Hamm with Planet Shakers

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    FenderHotRod likes this.
  4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the info guys. I’ll check them out.

5. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I like Jesse Reeves (Chris Tomlin). No relation, lol.

Check out the Tomlin song “All Bow Down” for a good example of his playing. If you are playing CCM, I guarantee you will come across some Tomlin songs.

6. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Even if you are in other genres you are probably going to be called upon to do some Tomlin songs although they might pass through a regional and/or genre filter for your band's arrangement

Dan_reeves likes this.
  7. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Mark Prentice did some solid stuff on a lot of the Soul Survivor live records (Tim Hughes, Matt Redman etc).

8. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Hey all, I have a question. When do you know when it’s time to move on?

I’ve been at the same church for over 22 year in the music ministry. This is a good sized Church, about 1,400 a week in attendance with 3 services each Sunday.

About 4 years ago, our senior pastor that put this church on the map retired. His replacement, with a background in corporate America, has installed so many layers of bureaucracy, it’s impossible to effect any sort of meaningful changes.

For instance, the lights and sound crew are now isolated from the praise and worship teams. Which means, I can’t go directly to the sound tech if my sound is jacked up. I have to meet with the worship leader, who in turn has to go to the Building and Grounds superintendent, who then goes to the Media Director that oversees the PA operation, who then passes the information to the sound tech for adjustments.

On Sundays, we have a 5 lead worship singers, backed by 20 or so in the choir, 10-12 assorted string and horn players, none of which rehearse with the band that rehearses on Monday nights, with full run through of what we will be playing Sunday. Our core band fields two keyboards, two guitarists, bass and drums. It’s a lot of musicians, and when it’s right it a draw dropping experience to witness.

The Church has a Saturday night service with a separate group of ad hoc musicians playing the same material, in a jam band sort of offering. Due to this service, the sound we experience Sunday morning, is based of what they did for the players the night before, and different sound tech trying to figure out and or fix the havoc created the night before.

Unfortunately, our Praise and Worship Pastor also does Saturday night services. Which means if there was something didn’t work, or a “great” idea occurred Saturday night, the Sunday Morning team gets revisions on what worked perfectly well Monday night that we have to remember.

Our Praise and Worship Pastor, who happens to be the son of the original pastor is a great guy, and I love him dearly. He’s is a lot like his dad, bright, headstrong, dedicated, charge the hill and let the chip fall where they may type. This is his third year in this Ministry, and frankly, the music is awful.

First off, each song has at least 5 different musical cells, each with a different drum part and dynamic range. He’s already ran off a drummer that holds a BA in percussion and is about to run of a second one that is one of the best core pocket drummers I’ve ever played with. This poor guy has to learn everything by wrote, so when we get the Sunday morning audibles, his pretty stressed.

Secondly, the music he brings in does not translate well with the players and choir we have. It’s just one nebulous blob of sound on the records, and we have very detailed instrumental charts and instruments.

My job as a bassist is to provide some sense of logic to it all. Number one, the sound of my bass is almost always sound like a bass played through a tweeter due to what ever went on the night before, and effecting changes tone is about impossible, I got 20 odd players that have no clue as what where and when these revisions are going to occur, needless to say, it’s a mess. Even if my sound is fine, the bass is usually out for half the song, and when it’s in, it’s mostly whole notes on the root.

I have had numerous discussions with PWL over this, and bless his bones, he just doesn’t get it. So instead of an uplifting spiritual experience, I come out of service totally stressed to the max, drained, with a whopping migraine. My main concern is if I stay, I’m going to be a divisive member, which is never a good thing.

Anyway, as long as I been at this ministry, I guess i deserve an extend break. Tour a few other churches around town, then let God lead me to the next chapter.

9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Sounds like your season there is over.

dbsfgyd1 and spiritbass like this.
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I agree.

dbsfgyd1 and lowdownthump like this.
  11. danster