Worship Bass Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cshanks5, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Seems to be a very popular WB set up at the moment.

2. dwagner

dwagner Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2013
    North Dakota, USA
    Indeed. I love how it sounds, couldn’t be happier. I play around with some other tones outside of church, but this setup absolutely rules for what I’m doing.

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I’m using a friend’s Incredible pedalboard-in-a-pedal today at an outdoor service.

API TranZFormer

855EA814-9D4E-4D48-A51D-E7C2746466CB.jpeg

MynameisMe, FunWithBass, B-Lo and 7 others like this.
  4. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I've never tried one of those but would love to. How'd you like it?

5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I’m impressed, and tempted to get one for these occasions when I don’t want to bring my pedalboard. Great for recording also. Preamp/Compressor/DI

The Diaper Geni likes this.
  6. Drkwdsman

Drkwdsman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    If it had a built in tuner, I might be tempted.

7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

Bought a used one here. Well worth the price even new. Best one knob compressor ever. Being its a API you can't go wrong. Many use the 500 series for recording but this unit does a great job and not to bad with carrying it around. Its a great tone enhancer. Some complain that it clips to readily but its sensitive and there is no reason to push it to get a great sound.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    B-Lo and ExaltBass like this.
  8. FromTheAshes777

FromTheAshes777

Saturday
    Hi all,

Super happy I found this thread and have learned a lot from it.

This is my current board and am putting together plans to upgrade a few things for my worship team playing.

First item I am leaning towards is a good quality comp pedal, my Downtown Express has a decent one but I'm wanting something on a premium level like an Empress Bass comp, Cali76 compact bass, or a DG Hyperluminal. DG seems to be the best price on the used market at the moment.

Next I'm thinking of upgrading my DI and am open to suggestions....have looked at DG Vintage ultra, Aguilar TH, EBS MBII, but have also thought of just using like a RNDI or something similar. I play a Lakland 5502 in active mode so not hurting for a preamp/EQ. Not sure the best route to take there.

I do use a drive probably 25% of the time so have looked at a DG vintage microtubes or a Way Huge Pork and Pickle.

Anyways, thoughts on comps and DI/preamp with what I have?

We use IEM's, no amps, and have a pretty big worship space.

Thanks all, and blessings,
    Josh

Attached Files:

Treblefree and just_chill like this.
  9. furym

furym

Aug 31, 2014
    Carthage, NC
    If you decide to go premium DI, I am very happy with my Khan VTDI for half the price of a Noble or Reddi. You will have to check out the giant DI thread for sound comparisons and judge for yourself though.
    Likewise with the other pieces. Find audio samples and see what speaks to you. It’s a long dark rabbit hole. Good luck and welcome.

FromTheAshes777 likes this.
  10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Sonic Research Tuner, Empress Bass Compressor, Big Muff (optional) and REDDI. The search for a compressor and DI has ended.

11. FromTheAshes777

FromTheAshes777

Saturday
    Was thinking possibly as a more budget option of using a Rupert Neve di, I know Adam Kiser is a big proponent of them as well as one of the guys from Elevation. From there I would just get my new comp and a dirt pedal(s), keep running my boss eq and on board my Lakland and leave it at that for now. Would drop the downtown express of course. Thoughts? Thanks for the welcome! I am super blessed to get to play with the team I'm in.

12. FromTheAshes777

FromTheAshes777

Saturday
    Love the features on the Empress especially the HC SP control! What do you think of the color switch?

13. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    That’s a superb combo!

MynameisMe and SteveC like this.
  14. SteveC

I honestly haven’t experimented much. I stole scubaduba’s settings and they sounded so good I pretty much left it at that - except I’m running (as crazy as it sounds but it works) 10:1 ratio.

FromTheAshes777 and scubaduba like this.
  15. SteveC

Thanks. I think so, and so does everyone who hears it. An it all fits in my Pelican case. Super handy.
    A2D61207-2AC2-49B3-9249-27FFF7F08FA4.jpeg

16. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    The testing compressors thread has more information than you could ever possibly need on compressors. Scubaduba has done an amazing job reviewing a ton of fantastic compressors. He also has his website:

https://www.compressorpedalreviews.com/

Testing Compressors: Cali, Smoothie, Empress, Diamond, Keeley, FEA, Darkglass, Doc Lloyd, JHS & more

And you can read about a ton of great preamps and DI’s in this thread:

Tube Preamp/DI Sound Samples — Noble, Oracle, P-15, Super Stack, REDDI, Tonecraft, Jule...

Personally, I’ve used a bunch myself. My favorite compressors are a bit harder to come by because they are perpetually out of stock. But I currently use the Empress Bass Comp (OOS). My next favorite would probably be the Cali Compact Bass.

As for DI, I often use a rack setup and don’t take just a DI. But when I do, a Radial JDI coupled with a good preamp does the job just fine. And it’s built like a tank. I couple mine with a Broughton SVPre (also perpetually OOS), among other things, when running direct. It’s an amazing setup. I used this setup at a short gig last weekend, and the sound was incredible.

6A4E724B-6A0B-4021-894E-51D424729B93.jpeg

If you want an amazing preamp/DI in one that will change your life, pick up a Broughton P15 or SSDI. They’re spendy but worth it. I have an SSDI that I’ll be selling soon once I have a chance to take pics, because I have mostly gone back to my rack setup.

just_chill and FromTheAshes777 like this.
  17. FromTheAshes777

FromTheAshes777

Saturday
    Empress bass comp is definitely #1 for me right now, cali76 compact bass a close second. Waiting anxiously for Empress to restock.

I'm just not sure I'll be ready any time to drop the change on an all tube di.

You guys have certainly peaked my interest in the Broughton gear.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021 at 12:28 PM
  18. dwagner

dwagner Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2013
    North Dakota, USA
    I have both the Noble and the RNDI.

Both are great. They're different amplification circuits, which is why they cost different prices. But I'd put them in the same tier.

RNDI - crystal clear, super low frequency response. Shows you what your signal is and gives you really good clarity.
    Noble - tubes. It has its own thing going on, as well as the 2.5 band EQ. It has its own sound. I prefer it right now.

I love both DIs, I think if you want something super high quality the RNDI will serve you well. I also would feel better about throwing that one around on the road (it is sturdy, too) vs a $1500 tube preamp.

19. SteveC

I thought I was crazy to spend that kind of money on a tube compressor (LA-1A) and a tube DI (REDDI) but there is (to my ear) a very clear difference in sound. I wish I would have spent the money sooner.

20. SteveC

So I’ve got a question for you all. At the cover gig last night (street dance) it seemed my bass sounded better (a little more present/detailed) when I ran my big muff. I usually only use it for the “harder” tunes but not everything. I have used it in church but sparingly. It’s definay not an always on pedal. Yet, it sounded great last night.
    Now, my bass sounded amazing today at church. Same board just no big muff. I get that they are obviously different situations and styles, but I found it interesting. Made me wonder if having something “hit” the DI helped.

Got me wondering if I indeed could use a “preamp” or boost before my DI (not necessarily a drive or distortion as I like it clean for some country and pop stuff) to help get that same type of sound? Or maybe the bit of dirt was all I needed to get that extra something to get me over the top in the mix.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021