Worship bass: Warwick $$ or Fender Jazz 24?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krfoss, Jul 31, 2017.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I hate to be that guy who cant make up his damned mind, but here I am.

I have a Fender Jazz 24 V that I play almost exclusively with the scoop switch on, which gives a nice warm tone that works great for most modern church music, and is my main bass.

But, I'm getting a wild hair, and am thinking of selling it for something thats solidly modern. What are your thoughts on getting rid of the Jazz 24 V and getting a Warwick $$ 5er? Would this bass be too aggressive for modern worship music?

I already have a 4 string jazz with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups and American P, which both keep me suited for vintage sounds, so I'm not worried about losing there.

So, am I crazy for thinking of getting rid of the Jazz 24 V? Could I get away with the versatility of the $$? Would a Fender Rosco Beck be the comparable love child between the two?

Thanks team!

anavar likes this.
  2. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    the Warwick double $$ will sound very full and modern. I have seen one played in a church setting but the series/parallel switches were in the down position (super hot) and was a touch too gritty.

undeniably good though the $$, especially the streamer.

Wild card, Why not go for a warwick Jazz man? half $$/half Jazz.

wmmj likes this.
  3. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I thought worship bass players were automatically issued a Ken Smith bass? ;):thumbsup:

4. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I wish. If you have one of those as standard issue that you're not using, I'm happy to take it off your hands.

mysteryclock likes this.
  5. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    In spite of living in an area where we joke about most churches having loading docks for their bands, I don't play in a worship setting or have a Smith at this point. Otherwise I'd totally loan you one next time you're here.

I will say the Roscoe Beck idea is a cool one if you can find them. They don't seem to be super common or discounted that much when they pop up.

6. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Depends on what you worship.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021