1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worship Bassists: question!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Feb 25, 2008.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i hope this is the right place for this

anyone hear the new single by Linkin Park? it's called Shadow of the Day.

i know what you're thinking... what does this have to do with worship music? well, if you've heard it, you'll know! find it on iTunes. the little 30 second clip will tell you all you need to know.

the resemblance is uncanny! i almost vomited! i fear for the future of good music!!:meh:

2. I'll bite. The resemblance to what is uncanny?

3. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    since when was linkin park good music?
    as far as i'm concerned, linkin park has pretty much always sucked

4. I listened to it. If you're referring to it sounding like contemporary worship music I can hear the resemblence. It's a universally used chord progression that a lot of worship music has and the 4/4 time with the bass playing eighth notes is pretty common to Matt Redman stuff. Is that what your referring to?

5. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX

YES!!!!

it was crazy. i was listening to the radio... and on it came. and i wasn't paying attention. the first thing that popped into my head was "when did this become a christian station? and why am i listening to a christian station?"*

it was crazy! i wanted to make sure i wasn't going nuts!

*(i have a great dislike for most contemporary christian music because, lets be honest, musically it doesn't meet most or any of the same standards as other music being made today)

6. I think Linkin Park is another victom of what I like to call "manufactured music". Like you stated in your post, Christian music is a lot like that because the CCM machine is a big machine that sells the crap out of cd's at inflated prices. The more the demand, the higher push for more music to be written and produced. It's almost an assembly line mentality. Since it's done so fast a lot of what you hear on the radio is much like the song you heard before that and after that. It's much like the cars on the road today. If you look at a car you can tell the difference between a Honda and a Toyota but if you sit inside of it and all the name brand tags are hidden or removed, unless you know Toyotas or Hondas farely well, you can't tell what you're sitting in.

It's a shame that music and capitalism mix like that but in the world of "I want it now", it's the only way to get it out fast enough and cheap enough to satisfy the demand.

7. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    what's more... a friend of mine had a revelation a few years ago that he shared with me...
    he said... Christian worship music for the most part follows all the same rules. songs share standard chord changes, changes in feels, breakdowns, build ups, half time changes, double time changes, yadda yadda... because it's more of a science than an art. churches have figured out the reaction they want from a congregation or listeners, so they implore the guys writing the music to write similar stuff because it get's the same responce every time.

and it's at times when that's shown to be true that i dispise the title of christian musician.:(

8. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    Much of contemporary Christian music copied famous artists styles and used a typical 1-4-5-minor 6 progression stolen from a lot of rock music so I'm not sure why there's this sudden revelation that a secular rock song would sound something like what we play on Sunday morning in a contemporary service.

Listen to Big Daddy Weave and tell me who else you hear. The parallels have lessened to a certain extent as CCM began to come into its own, with its own marketplace, but it's still there simply as a structure of the music that's become the standard for contemporary praise and worship music.

9. True, so true.

10. emohair

emohair

Jul 12, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    I lot of the worship music I play is simply a U2 rip....especially "blessed be the name" by matt redman....sounds just like "with or without you," same chord progression an all.