Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worship, Praise, Church Bass resources?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by robertbrewster, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Now I sing in the choir, but I'm working hard at my bass playing, and aspiring to play in church. I've found the churchbass list to be very relevant and on-topic, but I wonder what other resources people find useful.

Thanks for your help!
    Rob

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    All the threads on general playing here are relevant. There are even some specific on-topic threads if you look for them.

3. Thanks for your response-- I do search the TalkBass threads for relevant things, and I know that the general bass knowledge applies also to church. I am looking specifically for any other web resources on bass as applied to worship music.

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Robert

check out www.churchbass.org - and join the discussion list. It's a fab little community and a great place for asking whatever questions you have and sharing resources etc...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    My best advice for you is to get Some CD's that have the style of music that your church is playing and listen to them. For example, at my church we do mostly P+W music that has been around for 1-15 years. There are some great CD's out there, including the "I could sing of your love forever" collections, Volume 1+2 (2 disks each set) plus the group Passion has two great CD's. One is "live out loud" and the other is "better is one day" I have gotten some great ideas for style and fills from listening to these with my CD player set on bass boost.
    If your church tends to do older stuff, the "songs for worship" collections are good for that.
    Another great resource that sounds right up your alley is the "groovin for Heaven" videos by Norm stockton. I can't recommend them enough. You can get them many places, including Normstockton.com

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Mark

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  7. Hiway61

Hiway61

Nov 24, 2001
    SE Pennsylvania
    I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. I took up the bass at the ripe old age of 48 (midlife crisis) with the idea of playing in my congregation's praise and worship band. After about a year of lessons, I started sitting in at practices and a couple of months after that, I was in the rotation. I'd second tuBass's recommendation to get a bunch of CDs with some of the songs your congregation uses on a fairly regular basis and play along. I don't consider myself a gifted musician (or much of a musician for that matter) but I thoroughly enjoy being able to play with this group a couple of times a month and feel that I add something to the music. Good luck. Enjoy the experience.

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    >>>"We have met the enemy, and they are partly right." - Tony Campolo<<<

Ah, now there's a fine book!! Along with 'Reasonable Faith' it ranks as Tony's finest...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

9. I'm not sure why you put this into this thread, but Tony Campolo is without a doubt the finest speaker one will ever have the priviledge of listening to, you don't even have to agree with him to acknowledge that. Man, that guy can captivate an audience.

I heard a story about him speaking to a large, "old-school" Christian audience.....he started by saying "right now in the world, there are xxx,xxx,xxx children who are starving, and you don't give a s_it! And now you're sitting there more upset that I said s_it than by what I actually said". Man, whatta guy!

Back to the bass stuff. I haven't been to churchbass in a while. I thought it was seriously lacking the last time I was there.

Anyone heard Fred Hammond?

Mark

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great recommendation! Fred Hammond is a great singer, and player. I have one of his solo CD's, and one of the CD's with Radical for Christ.

11. Hiway61

Hiway61

Nov 24, 2001
    SE Pennsylvania
    I, too, found churchbass to be a little thin. At first I was excited to find a site devoted to playing bass in a church setting but never found much there to make me go back again.

The reference to Tony Campolo came from my signature a few posts above. You're right, he's one of the best. I am fortunate to live close to his home base and some years back, he spoke at my church a couple of times a year. About three years ago, I attended a weekend retreat at which he was the featured speaker. It was quite an experience.

Peace.

12. There is not a lot in the site itself, it is the mailing list to which you can subscribe which I have found helpful-- people sincerely dealing with the issues of music in church, spiritual issues, and the equipment and technical aspects supporting the worship music.
    Thank you to all who have given suggestions for resources. I will be following up on them.
    Best regards,
    Rob

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    After using Talkbass and other formats of Discussion groups, It's hard to deal with Churchbass. It just seems so primitive. I read most of the posts, but I wish it had a more user friendly format.

14. embellisher

That is why I don't use churchbass. The digest format is a pain, and you can't reply directly to a post.

If it were put in html and browsable in the same way as Talkbass or Harmony Central, I would use it.

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    You know, it wouldn't have to be as complicated or cool as what we have here, which is the tops.
    A simple BBS style board like Tubenet would be an easy format.

It's certainly a large (somewhat) demographic that deserves the attention.

16. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    For one, CB isn't only Digest- you can set it to send individual emails.... may not be a good thing, but you can then use your mail program to filter based on the message tags.

The bonus with CB is that the relationships that have been built on it have been some of the strongest I've ever seen...

Also- Tim V the moderator, host, and sole reason that CB runs does all the management of it in his very spare time...

you also don't get bugged to support :)

*my avatar is the best $20 i've spent all year*

17. embellisher

I would participate in Churchbass, and support(if I were asked to), if the format were better.

18. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I guess it's all a matter of different people wanting different things. I really appreciate Churchbass being a subscriber only email list...

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

19. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I know that for me talkbass and churchbass serve different purposes. I view both daily and participate (yeah right, newbies have more posts than me!:D ) But the smaller group of people on churchbass makes it more intimate. I've met quite a few people from churchbass, but only 1 from talkbass. I even travelled to a get together in Dallas for churchbass. It was the first time I ever got on a plane, and I got to DFW and realized that I knew no one within 1500 miles of where I was. But within a few minutes I met 3 guys from the list and we were talking like we'd known each other for years. (it seemed like years before ek came to pick us up, too!) Not to say that it couldn't happen on talkbass, but so far it hasn't. I've formed some great relationships with guys from CB just through IM, too. A couple of the guys were really there for me while I was separated from my wife and really feeling like crap. It's really nice to know that pretty much where ever you go, you can find someone that shares the common bond of Churchbass.

This is not meant to slam talkbass, heh, I ponied up the $20, twice even, and I'm the lurking mod, so I'm here more that CB if you count actual time spent.

But to each his own........

Chris A.:rolleyes: