Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Persuader, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    I'm in the market for a 4x10,there are a lot of good ones out there so i think it would be easier to know which ones get the popular vote to stay away from.I'm sure some folks are going to be offended and it is not my intention to start a war....SO BE NICE!!! Thanks.

2. I would say that the worst would be a hartke.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    HArtke The worst?
    No way! Maybe the 410TP but not the 4.5 XL.
    To me, the worst 4x10 Cab has been the Marshall 4x10.
    Marshal should stay making only guitar gear.

Another one that sucked to hell when I was looking for a Cab was a Gallien Krueger.
    Gallien Heads are great but the cabs suck.

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    However much money you think you're saving do NOT buy the carvin 410, or any other bass cabinet they make. It can't handle the power it's rated at, and sounds noticably inferior to anything like Eden or Swr or Ampeg.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

yes!!! and Peavey makes great amps........ please god save me!!

I have been playing with a Hartke 410TP for mor than 3 years and its still sounding as new, I know it´s not the best, but for less than $400 you could be sure your buying a good 4x10. IMO

Avoid marshall , peavey, fender....
    Check out hartke, ampeg, eden, swr......

6. >Avoid marshall , peavey, fender

Why ?

Cabinet selection is always a personal matter. I own 3 Peavey cabinets (210TXF, 115BX and 412TVX) and am absolutely satisfied with them.

John

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I just can´t trust peavey´s quality.... but it´s just my opinion

8. I agree with you on the marshall and peavey, but not fender. The fender 4x10 is better than the hartke 4x10 and runs for about the same price. The fender bass cabs and amps are not that bad. Obviously there are better, no doubt about that, but i think fender's, when lookin in that price range, are worth the look.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Say What?
    Peavey gear is one of the most solid in the market. You can even hit it and will work for years.
    Also, Peavey TXF,TV Cabinets are just amazing for the price. The sound IS comparable to higher price cabs.
    Did you know that Peavey manufactures the Eden Cabinets?
    At least that´s what Munji said.

10. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I think that Peavey, Fender, and Marshall all make at least passable bass gear. Marshall bass amps obviously aren't very popular in America, but there isn't any reason quality-wise why they should be avoided. A more likely situation would be that the Marshalls avoided you, because they are pretty hard to come by in the USA.

As for Peavey and Fender, they make goods amps and cabs for the money. Sure, they probably won't compare to well against Mesa/Boogie, Ampeg Pro Series, SWR, Aguilar or Eden, but amps and cabs from those companies cost at least a couple hundred more.

I myself stayed away from Hartke, though I admit I haven't had much experience with them. The problem was people were so divided on what they thought of Hartke, I decided to avoid their stuff rather than take a chance.

However, you may like Hartke. If you do, then more power to you.

Maybe you should give us a little more info, like what kind of sound you are looking for, how much money you have to spend, and if size and weight is an issue.

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It sure becomes a non-issue when you go to the store, try it out and buy the one that fits you best. That way when you come back with X brand equipment and we ask why, you can say that it fits the sound you were looking for and almost everyone will feel that you made the right choice. (There are a few of us who want to make up your mind for you ;) )

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Fenders aren't that bad.. the Fender Bassmans are actually pretty damn good! I tried them and I liked them! I had a BXR and HATED it but I tried the Bassmans.. they were pretty good! I guess I might stick to Trace Elliot, but I will probably change to Eden with time :)

DM

13. I've never liked the sound of Carvin's amps personally guitar or bass. I've always had very good luck with Peavey and Hartke, both a very solidly built...especially Peavey. I have a Peavey bass amp from 1983 that has NEVER faltered.

14. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    Thanks for all the info (see, you guys can be nice) I am playing an alembic persuader with a P p/u through... this is weird... an ampeg SB12, great warm tone but only living room volume, i mic the 12 with an EV RE-20 and run that line to a trace 250, since i have a vintage equipped studio i can try many amps/cabs and i find the 15 cabs to favor certain low notes. When i play the studio's 6x10 SVT cab, things even out. I can't take this cab out to gigs and i'd like something smaller. I use flatwounds with a pick and am really into the Joe Osborne sound- we have all the vintage Ampegs ; sb 12 , b15 ,b25, svt, gemini.The b15 is not mine and not loud enough but that is the amp that was used by the 60's guys.I'm thinking of the Ampeg PR410H, is it well built and are the 10's good quality? Thanks again everyone! check out my studio at www.arcaneaudio.com

15. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't say any cab is the worst, unless it's poorly made, which I don't know of one.

I would avoid Hartke though, it may have a good sound, but something tells me those aluminum cones are bbbbbaaaaaaaddddd. I hear they burn out easily or something.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    amen

17. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Well, this definately narrows things down a bit. I'm sure the PR410 is a well built cab, but in my opinion if you want a very traditional Ampeg sound, you will want to stick with the Classic Series. The Pro Series was designed to fill the demand for high-end, hi-fi sounding bass cabinets. Pro Series Cabinets have a very clean, transparent tone, as compared to the SVT whose fame is based on the liberal injections tone it gives your signal.

In short, Ampeg's Classic Series will probably be more to your liking. You might also want to check out Eden as well. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative, try Fender and Peavey. I would probably not bother with the Ampeg Pro Series, SWR, Mesa/Boogie, Hartke, etc. if you are looking for classic Ampeg tones.

18. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    i personally like the sound of the peavey cabs. they sound warm and bassy, the way a bass cab should sound! the hartke cab didn't sound very good at all comparitively. it distorted at lower volumes and didn't have nearly as much low end. for the price i say stick to peavey.

19. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I too like Peavey stuff, but get their Black Widow speakers whenever possible in their 12-18" speakers. I do not care for the Scorpion and other cheaper speakers.