Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst Airport???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Oct 15, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As far as major airports go, I won't mention the name of the one that bugs me the most but it rhymes with "KC" which I sometimes have to use for gigs. You have a connecting flight and you have to take a bus that is as fast as a sloth on downers in the jungle, or walk a half mile, to get to your next gate.

Just wondering --- which airports you dread???

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    DFW, hands down. It's a structural nightmare. However, Atlanta probably has the rudest employees overall.

3. Running down that 400 miles of concourse to catch a connecting flight in 10 minutes. Ack.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yup, but it's worse in Honalulu (sp?)

5. rickbass

That sounds pretty intimidating............considering that you have to check-in these days about 95 hours before departure!!!

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Atlanta

Detroit Metro ( the new terminal sucks--designed by blockheads )

Logan International

Honorable Mention: Los Angeles

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Sacramento Cal; there are mosquitos in the baggage claim! :mad:

8. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I use DFW all the time and don't find it to be a problem. However, I go through Miami quite a bit and it can be a nightmare. Last Saturday upon arrival from Jamiaca we got off the plane and walked at least 1 mile (I'm not exaggerating) to Immigrations. Once we cleared Immigrations and Customs, we had to clear through security again and walk about a half a mile to our gate. The irony is that we our plane arrived at gate 46 and we departed out of gate 47. And that's just my most recent experience.

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I don't see DFW as that bad. I can't really compare it to much, but I've been there numerous times and it's never been that bad. Just gotta pay attention to what you're doing and where you're going.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    sheremetyevo, Russia, Moscow... i rest my case... non of you can compare to that little trash...

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cincinatti. Stuck there for like, 8 hours on a bum layover.

If you've ever been there, you'll understand why 8 hours there is a whole messa ass.

12. 95 hours and 400 miles adds up to a great trip!

13. rickbass

I haven't had a problem with DFW either, other than the fact that the gates are "linear" rather that "circular" around a central point.....(It's like a "Walk Marathon for Cancer"). DFW's trains have always been cool, for me.

BUT --- Miami??? I know what you're saying, Mobay. I've met more dogs there than I have at the pet store.

14. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    IME, all airports are pretty terrible, esp. so after 9/11.... Im actually very surprised no one has named JFK or LAX

Honolulu was prolly the nicest airport Ive been to; even if you have to walk. It has fairly clean air, decent scenery and pretty woman.... :D

DOH! Reminds me of St. Louis/K.C. :help:

15. rickbass

Haven't hit those in a while, OE.

When I used to go to Manhattan on business, I came to La Guardia and was so impressed that I could get a taxi in no time to take me to Peter Cooper Village, (owned by my company, MetLife).

But I heard JFK and LAX are really messed up nowadays, due to the crummy tech we have to weed out terrorists.

16. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Yup, fo sho... heh

La Guardia was never that bad ( but Im from the N.E. so take that as you may....)

Anyone been through Boston lately? I bet its as bad, if not worse, than LAX and JFK....

17. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    LAX as a major is pretty bad. Though I've used it so much, I don't care anymore. I hear Phoenix is pretty bad too. I've pretty much been in every airport on the west coast.

How about best airport? PDX is bright and clean and new. SeaTac is pretty nice too.

18. rickbass

Love coming in there at night..........water all around as the lights shimmer off of it.

But more importantly - they seem to be as efficient as Vancouver at least in the few times I've been there.

19. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I went through Logan recently, it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Tried connecting in CHICAGO O'HARE lately, especially in the winter?

The late flights run about 40% there, and the connections are
    always too tight. That place is a nightmare.

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The old terminal at Detroit Metro. Baggage claim is like the "Black Hole of Calcutta".