Worst. Audition. Ever.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 23, 2003.

1. I won't go into specifics, but, as I told a philosophy-major pianist friend of mine: "I have found the Platonic form of SUCK."

Don't think I'll be making a Cornell Jazz Ensemble this semester.
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Come on pete, spill it....

Hey, heres some comfort for you,...

Maybe you just suck.

Just kidding. Bad days happen,,, sometimes when we don't want them to. But hey, this leaves more time for your ...uh... SOLO work! yeah, thats the ticket!

I bet ive had worse auditions.....
  3. DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    Hey Peter!

Look on the bright side. You're young, yet you probably know more about music than many of us here. And...at least you got the audition. A lot of us wouldn't even have the talent to get the opportunity.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned, and focus on what you can learn from the experience. Bad experiences can make you a stronger person. You'll probably look back on this years from now and have a very different perspective.

4. Well, I did learn one very important thing: if you're a poor sight-reader, you need to spend more than 30 seconds looking at a chart before you attempt to play it.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
  6. You'll always be my baby, Ducky-poo.

(Flings with DHC aside.)
  7. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Don't be so tough on yourself, man.

We've all been there.
  8. I have learned the good way that you never know...I thought I bombed the CMA entrance exam - I was prepared to quit accounting altogether if I didn't get in. Didn't even finish the stupid exam and what I did write was totally misguided.

Anyways, when I got my results, I got an above average score. In fact, my stupid answers ranked in the top 10% in terms of strategic thinking (***?).

Perhaps the other musicians sucked worse than you! :D
  9. No, that's not the case. I made a complete idiot of myself. I played like a 13-year-old who never played jazz before.
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    is it the end of the world ? sorry to hear btw that your audition
    went poorly...

There will be a next time , correct?
  11. Not with this particular gig. I'm graduating in May.
  12. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    What he said;)
    This probably won’t be the last time you bomb either. It's best to just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, learn from your mistakes and move on;)
  13. You'll find some band who appreciates what you have to offer. Sooner or later, you will 'feel the love' of your new band, and what a great day it will be.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What dosen't kill you , only makes you stronger!!!!!
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Unless of course, it renders you immobile from the neck down. Then you're pretty much screwed. But I doubt a bad Jazz audition will do that.
  16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Depends on who you audition for:D
  17. Hey, you never can tell when a strings gonna break.
  18. Most of the greats fail before they make it big.

Charlie Parker got a cymbal thrown at him first time he got up on stage, couldn't carry a tune to save his life and was fired from multiple big bands.

As long as you stay away from the drugs, things can only get better.
  19. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    As someone who's been in your shoes before (auditioning for college jazz ensembles is always a pain), my advice is just to not sweat it. So you played badly in an audition... it's all good. You'll play better next time. There have been many times I've looked at my hands (and looked at myself in the mirror) and shaken my head in disbelief at some of the things they've played, and some of the things I've thought up within given tunes. My band goes through cycles where we're really hitting it on the tunes, really tight, and communicating well, and some times we can barely play it seems. Last night was a pretty mediocre gig, but I'm not really too concerned with it. I've learned that there are so many factors that can come into play with regard to performance that to worry about them is detrimental. Go out, play, and when you're done, forget about the gig (or audition). You, by virtue of being an improvising/growing musician will constantly have the desire to work and improve your musical prowess. The "play and forget it" approach isn't lazy, it's healthy. If I obsessed over how well and how badly I played on some tunes last night, I'd be going nuts now. And I can't even count on 2 hands the number of times I blew it in jazz theory/improv class in school. It's obviously in your blood, so it's not as if you'll have to force yourself to keep working. Keep it up man!

P.S. I had a friend at Berklee tell me he saw Metheny one night at a local club and it was an off night for him. I'd like to hear a bad night for Metheny, just to see what his sound like. Happens to all of us!
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX