worst band member

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Aug 3, 2001.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i want to know a story about yoiur worst band member?

heres mine:

me and my band have been playin together pretty much all of highschool. We played alot of hard rock like rage and 311 and GnR(ick). Over the course of time the singer started to change. It started with his fascination with axel rose, then it moved on to even trashier bands. Eventully he was into 80's hair bands,NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! My band and him decided to part ways and we are looking for a new singer, even though we are all still really good friends. He came over to my house the other day and he was wearing cowboy boots, leather pants, a ripped up poison shirt and a cowboy hat! Now i'm a big punker, so this completly goes against everything i stand for. Have you guys ever had a similiar experience?
  2. Well mine is short, we can't afford large amps, yet our drummer insists on hitting the damn drums as hard as he possibly can. It seems he does that just so that we can't even hear ourselves, he doesn't play for the band at all, just to hear himself really loud. He has even broken drumsticks before.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Mine was a drummer who had no rhythm. He would f#$k up and resort to what we called the "shuffle of death" all the time. He actually fell backwards through a wall one time.
  4. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    cause everyone in my band is ten times better and I am incapable of writing competent bass lines cause I have been playing for less than a year...
  5. My current bands drummer.
    Reasons why:
    1)He thinks he's the $hiznit and every time he screws up, he whines about how he's inexperienced and is going to take lessons and blah blah blah more BS
    2)He keeps coming up w/ the idea that I am calling him cheap, which in fact I'm not.
    3)When me band first drew up a list of cover songs, he had like 7-9 songs of his choice, whilst our guitarist and I only had like 3.
    4)He's turned our guitarist into a softcore-sellout. For example he is now listening to Staind (ickyickyicky yuck yuck), Yngwie Malmsteen (that guy has no emotion in his songs whatsoever) and Bon Jovi. I suppose these bands are ok except for the fact that our band started out wanting to play Metallica, Static X and Megadeth....

All this added up makes for a very pissy bassist!!!
  6. Plus, he's convinced our guitarist to add two more people and fed me the "oh now that we have two more people, we won't be able to gig for a year"-bull$hi+. ARGGGGG no friggin gigs for this band...thus producing an extremely pissy bassist!
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    The first band I was ever in was a praise band at my church... You may have read the story about the guy telling me how bad I sucked (its on here somewhere)... anyway... The drummer thought he was soo good. He had double bass drums, 12 count them 12 toms, and 16 cymbles.. His parents were rich as i don't know what so he thought he would show off by buying this huge Pearl set.. let me think of how i can describe his suckynes.. It was like everytime he played it seemed he had just picked up the drum sticks for the first time. even when he was just doing a regular drum beat he would speed up and slow down.. Then he would do a fill in the middle of a song that didn't fit and he COULDN"T DO and would completely screw up the song. IF that wasn't bad enough he would look around and smile as if it were an awesome fill..... And we couldn't kick him out it was a church praise band. he finally left the band... but I don't think i've ever met anyone with less rythem.. ugh.
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    it's disturbing the number of complaints against drummers we're getting in this thread :D here's one more ...

our drummer suffers from a rather strange ailment - he's halfway towards being completely deaf. this means that he has absolutely no idea what is currently going on in a song, ie. if we're playing a verse, chorus or a bridge or whatever :oops: he's been known to smash the hi-hat during choruses (BIG mistake, HUGE :mad: ) and to neglect his toms entirely - for a band that plays hardcore, i feel he should be using these drums more. he also refuses to play unless he gets his very own fan, the vain bastard !
    but i'm just a bassist, so yeah ;)
  9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    I was doing a "rock and pop" course last week at a local high school and the two guitarists seemed to be having a constant competition to see who could play the loudest.
    It got to the point where everyone else except the drummer (who, once he started playing you had to hit him until he stopped) stopped playing and you could hardly tell.
    They didnt notice and we all left the room. They only realised after about 5 minutes.
  10. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    well at first...the singer was really hard to find.
    me(bassist), the guitarist, and drummer stuck together. all the singers we tryed really sucked or didnt show up to practices. We finally found a really good singer whole has lyrics with a lot of depth. Our problem now is the guitarist who write like he did when he joined and isnt writing to the level we want. Besides he is very loud!!
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like being old. I like being in a band of other old people (except our girl singer, who is young, but acts old). We're too farging old to diddle around with the B.S. We all do it for fun. If it ain't fun, we're outta here. That's all.
  12. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    there's a lot of complaints bout drummers here. my drummer a pretty modest and quiet guy. but the worst member of my band if without a doubt, our guitarist/singer. he has got the biggest ego i've ever seen. i had no idea someone could thinks o much of themselves. he insists that he is the only musical genius, but then he shuts up (for about 10 minutes) when i show him something good that i've written. but the thing that annoys me and the drummer most is that he loves to hear himself talk and play. when we're having a practice and if there's even a moment's silence, he breaks it by turning his amp up and soloing like crazy. i mean he is really good at guitar but when your trying to talk and you get drowned out by his distortion, it really brings down the respect if have for him. another thing, he is always yelling at the drummer for even the littlest thing.

i've been talking a lot hear. but i have so much i could tell you about this guy...so if you wanna hear some of these stories just give the word and i'll supply them.

13. Well, i gotta say my ex-guitarist...talk about LGS!!!
    He was also the self-proclaimed singer, even though he sounded like a mix of a backstreet boy and some old dude forcing a dump...its true!!!
    He wrote two songs, both sounded the same (clean guitar intro, heavier chorus)...and his lyrics are all about being an outsider "can't fit in, must get out" crap...even though he is quite popular...
    When i brought in one of my "less blatant, more imaginative, kinda psychedelic" tunes, he was the only one that did not like them...
    Plus every summer he leaves for 6-8 weeks to camp, erasing all possible practice time...
    None the less, i left that band...and am now in one with my old drummer, my cousin on keyboards and a great guitarist/songwriter (who I call Pete, as in Townshend, because of his rhythmic approach) who came in the first day saying that he wasn't into soloing, and also gave me support in my idea of learning to play acoustic guitar...something the other dude hated...
    So this means we probably the only band in winnipeg with keyboard and bass solos...
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    no one has mentioned themselves yet. I guess that is a good thing. Either that or no one can admit they have a problem!!!
  15. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I mentioned myslef.... check out answer number three...
  16. spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    Don't worry downward, I suck too :D. My problem is we can't decide on the same thing to play. Our drummer and one of the guitarists always wants to play a heavy speed metal lick or solo. Our guitarist won't play "Fade to Black" because he doesn't like playing the last 2 minutes. Just sit back and enjoy the song.
  17. i've never really had a problem with specific band members besides them moving away, but every time i've joined a band with some friends it fell apart very quickly.
    the first band my friends and i put together didnt really have a drummer and never really did. one of my friends was gonna play drums but he didnt have a set and he'd never even touched one before. we played at another friend's house and his brother owns a drum set but it's very rare that he lets anyone touch it cuz it's a vintage set worth around 15 grand.
    not many people play drums here in god-forsaken mormonville utah.
  18. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    the weakest links in the band im in now are the singer and drummer. The drummer doesnt have his own set, so he has no way to rehearse and learn his parts at home, ive seen broken clocks keep better time than he does. His tempo on several songs speeds up and slows down durring the song. and he does little accented parts on the wrong beat at times.

our singer, well shes got an ok voice but its very limited on what she can do..so a good portion of the tunes we are doing she doesnt do well, its like a 50-50 ratio good to bad, and thats giving her the benefit of the doubt. Youd think for someone who brags so much about how she was an army entertainer, singing in the army band for the last year of her hitch she'd be ALOT better.
  19. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I have had some very bad experinces with mormons, some of them tell me drinking coke and swearing are bad and some say I am a satanist just cause I like Manson, Placebo, Coal Chamber, etc and look like it. some have tried to convert me and all invariably annoy me.
    dummers are hard to find everywhre, though. I'm lucky, seeing as I know four drummers... not that I have any use for three of them.
  20. Hmm, did anyone say drummers? :D
    Two words Neil Peart

Why is it that drummers hear Neils fills and think that is the groove he is playing. I think NP gets a bad rap because so many drummers figure out his fills and not the drum part he plays. I have played in various Blues and R&B bands and the amount of drummers that show up to join the band with Neil's fills is endless. Imagine if you will Papa was a Rolling stone with constant rapid fire fills. Just doesn't work.