Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst bass ever written for a song?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 311 fan, Dec 18, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Hmmm......I know!!! Its.....

2. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Oh please tell me the suspense is killing me...

3. ...anything by a pop or punk band??

LONG LIVE METAL!!!

lolol :p

Merls

4. EXACTLY! wait.. I'm in a punk band and I make good basslines! damn you!! haha

-Willz

5. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    ...anything by a metal band??

LONG LIVE PUNK!!!

O well, I guess there are some alright metal riffs out there(I don't care for them personaly), but I have to say that there are equally as many good punk riffs. It's all in the perception.

6. i think many punk bands have basslines that are better than metal. though i have to admit, im a punk and my basslines suck

7. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    well since no one bothered to answer the damn question I will. there is NO bad bass anywhere. Mike Anthony, that guy from Korn you guys always bitch and moan about, they all rule!

8. punk bass lines tend to be a bit more soloish. metal bass lines usually tend to be more deep keep a steady beat.

i play in both metal and punk bands and i think my punk lines go a bit further than my metal lines do.

and as for worst bass line, anything from a boy band would nicely fit the bill.

9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    This thread would have been far more easy if I recorded myself more...
    But hey, Ignorance = Bliss. (on this particular subject)

Jimi Hendrix was the worst bassist on earth. He just wouldn't understand.

10. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Damn,

I left the "email notification" on on my last post...I hope this thread isn't going to be popular at all. Leave that option blank at all time, sir bass, as far as I'm concerned. (being not far at all)

By the way, "bitch" from Meredith Brookes (remember?) is seriously unfunky.

[Edited by Big Wheel on 12-19-2000 at 05:52 PM]

11. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Worst Bass ever written for a song

AC/DC - Thunderstruck

I was listening to that song (don't get me wrong it's still cool) but I could hear where the notes could be changing but he just kept playing that same B note (I think) through just about the whole song. AC/DC rarely has a remotely cool Bassline, I like Squealer and Rock Your Heart out and those are easy, but they sound cool.

12. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    I suggest listening to some Papa Roach or something. You may say it fits the song, but who's to say the song is any good?

BTW, most metal lines will be pretty speedy, so although they may lack a musical backing, they take talent.

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think there's actually five :eek: notes in that bassline... but I think the 8th-note-B-line goes for 40 straight bars, or something like that. I think that he even does a fill somewhere on AC/DC Live... but I could be wrong. At least he does a fill somewhere, once or twice on the whole CD... :rolleyes:

Long live Cliff Williams! :D