Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst bass for slap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    What is the worst bass for slap? Personally I would say it's my SDGR fiver because of the tighht string spacing, I can only slap the B!!! (probably cos I'm crap though...;)) Are there any that are worse, just to make me feel better about my purchase.

Dunno about all the badmouthing of soundgears though, apart from tight string spacing I can't find anything else wrong with it, it's a pre-active '96 model though...

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hofner Beatle Bass.

Definitely not slap friendly.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I was thinking about maybe a Rick because of string spaceing, and the cover dealy, thingy what are they called again.....the thing over the strings and pickup.

I think that would be alittle hard on the hand!!

4. it doesn't matter about string spacing, anything can be slapped, my five has a great slapping neck and it has string spacing of 16mm you'd never notice though, but because i only ever rarely slap it doesn't matter, it's easier to jump strings more efficiently

Big wheel: i agree with the Hofner, very light weight, the neck would snap if i hit it, and marcus miller style muted/harmonic popping is out of the question,

i tell you if paul Mc hadn't played it so much they'd be fire wood

i think there ok, i played a 64' quite often but there so small and fragile

kodiakblair likes this.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    No doubt I will upset someone, but the worst slapping bass I ever had was an LB75. Not very bright, very tight string spacing. No ring to it all all.

Chas

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well, that Hofter is about as non-funky as you can get. I'm not sure this puppy tops it, but here goes.

The Ampeg Dan Armstrong!!! This is that classic clear body bass from the late 60s-early70s that has recently be reissued (coming to ya straight from Korea).

As for slap tone, can you say "thud-blump--oww-my-acking-back!?" Despite the retro hipness of this bass, this short scale, 150 pounder has little to offer in terms of tonal variety.

There is no room to slap on this thing by the body-wise or neck-wise. The bridge is a piece of wood that you just hope comes intonated correctly. The tone is basically from thumpy to farty (if yr bag is James Jameson to Bill Wyman, you'll do fine; but you won't find Flea or Stanley Clarke here!). Umm...did I mention this thing is frigg'n heavy?

It ain't funky!
    Ron

jd56hawk likes this.
  7. I totally disagree with you on this one. My Soundgear is very easy to slap with. I do think that the string spacing is minimal, but I have never had any problems with playing some funky-as slap on it.

8. string spacing has nothing to do with slapping , i can slap out RHCP on an acoustic guitar and i have huge hands

having massive, vast ares of space between the strings in my opinion makes you a little complacent, you technique has to be better when you have more strings, i know this after recently moving from a 4 string MIA J with a badass, to a custom made 5

9. My bass. Strung with a .110 E.

:eek:

kodiakblair likes this.
  10. Ricks are slappable, and actually sound pretty cool...but to me, it's a sort of blasphemy ;)

My vote would go to the Hofner, as well...how about a Gibson or a Peavey T40?

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of Gibsons are not very conducive to slapping, due to their muddy tonal nature. However, the RD Artist is one of the most slappable 4 strings that I have ever played. Slaps nicely and sounds great doing it, too.

Peavey T-40? Yikes! I owned one of those.:eek: Very versatile bass, tons of tones in the electronics, even a few usable ones!;) But none suitable for slapping.

Also, any of those cheapo basses from the 60's with the strings 2 inches above the fingerboard.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Squires...Ugh. More often than not, I find these are horrible for slapping. You may have experienced differently, but these things make me cringe. No matter how high the action is, these things still manage to let the strings hit the poles and "pop" very loudly. That's bad, mmk?

13. A little off topic, and against the grain, I love to slap my RIC and my Thunderbird.

14. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    since i don't like slap, i wouldn't really know. I would have to say a bass without strings. :D :D

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think PortraitofTracy got it.

String spacing isn't important...if you have tiny fingers. If you don't there's nothing quite like ripping the base of your fingernails up trying to get between the strings. Sure, it can be done...but it hurts.

I had a T-40 when they first came out, for me it was an extremely easy bass to slap...it was just really heavy.

Slap on a Hofner and you'll get a distinctive sound, seriously thumpy, the opposite of slapping on a Jazz with rounds.

I slapped on my Carvin LB75 fretless and most people didn't even know it was a fretless.

Slapping on this new (to me) semi-hollow Elrick is fun, kind of a Jonas Helborg vibe to it.

You can slap anything (I've even slapped on an Ashbory...that was an experience)...whether you like it or not is the trick.

The worst for me...strangely enough, any bass that sounded boring to me.

Lionel Albert likes this.
  16. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have to agree that string width should not make a difference. I have a GT-7 and at first I had a hard time slapping on it but with PRACTICE I am getting better.
    Also I can slap just fine on my Squire P, but after I put a Warmoth neck on it, it's better.

17. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I know next to nothing about proper slap technique since I never use slap as a part of my regular playing style, but I like to mess around with it, and on my friends Marcus Miller Jazz I use the "cover dealy" to rest my palm on while I slap on it. It actually made it easier for me. That's what I thought it was there for... I dunno. If not, I'd love to be enlightened as to what their intended purpose is. :)

18. like what By-Tor said, anything can be done , it just takes a bit of practice

you didn't pick up the bass on day one and straight away started doing impressions of Marcus Miller

a bass that's a challenge helps you become a much more articluate player, with incredibly dexterous fingers

19. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Worst bass to slap?

My vote would be the striped-mouth bass. Very cranky.

I tried slapping out the solo to "Funny Vibe" on this fish and it started flapping around and cut my hand to pieces with its fins.

I think this was karmic payback for all the sushi I've eaten.

Sorry. Couldn't resist and big time lack of sleep.

Slap away on anything you like as long as it's not in a music store.

dinoadventures and jbd5015 like this.
  20. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    IMHO, If you wait till the big mouth bass is dead, you can achieve better results. At least you won't get cut.