Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst bass injury to date *graphic picture*

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by orskard, Jul 22, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    I had a blister on my index and middle fingers on my right hand. Last night at our show, the blister on the middle finger tore off and took some more skin with it. I didnt realize it till after the song. So i was playing on my last layer or skin. Its pretty gross. It hurt really bad once i got home and sat down finally. At the show it just kinda stung. But now....oh man.

[​IMG]

At least the gig went well.

2. doesnt look graphic but Im afraid to click on it lest there be more...nonetheless hope it ggets better

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    "BAH! 'Tis but a flesh wound!"

-or-

"I ain't got time to bleed."

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

THIS is gross.

[​IMG]

That isn't me, but something similar happened some weeks ago while practicing rockabilly double bass slap technique with steel strings. Not that scandalous, but a generous amount of blood squirted out, anyway.

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Gross!? That is so cool! Leave it on there! :bassist:

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Been there, Done that.

Looks like it's a relatively small one (I've had much bigger), but it's in one of those nasty spots that you will hit all day long. Best I can say is it will get a little better every day for the next 4-5 days.

8. thats really not that bad. just slap a bandaid on there and your straight.

Hey Gomez, where'd you get that pic from? thats pretty sweet.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Oh, somewhere in www.rockabillybass.com. That's the best resource for all things slap DB and includes a forum about blisters, tape and pain, something very common in that technique, specially if you try to do it on steel strings, like me.

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That sure is graphic. ;)

11. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    This is turning into a blood fetish thread! :eyebrow:

12. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Uh... I'm just subscribing.

13. thats sum pretty awesome stuff. i liked the pics and the music samples, even tho it only played the first 19, 20 seconds of the song (at least on my computer). the band name is kinda iffy tho :smug: .

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive had worse but not lately. Calouses are great.

15. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    I currently work in a metal shop. You cant avoid getting your hands scraped and scratched up.

Liquid bandaid is god.

16. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Can't you use that newskin stuff? Besides, if your bass is kicking your ass, maybe you should be a drummer!

:)

17. That pic of the upright looks like every time I gig on guitar. The whole dropped pick in first song/keep strumming/ no flesh from the bottom of my fingernails to below my top knuckle thing always reminds me why I am a bassist.

18. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    When you play one string and everyone else has six or 88 keys or plays with all limbs, you can get pretty banged up trying to keep up.
    I got a bigger amp after a bloodfest like yours.
    For some reason, everyone else got quieter after that. ;)

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Superglue indeed is quite handy.