Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst Bass-Lines Ever

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeLindgren, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top 5 Most Annoying Bass Lines by Mike Lindgren:

5) "Long View" Green Day
    4) Anything by Primus
    3) "SuperFreak" Rick James
    2) "Maxwell Murder" Rancid
    1) "Ice-Ice, Baby" Vanilla Ice

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Good to see that you're into some favorites!

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You must be one of those guys who likes they're music dull. Nice and dull. You probably think the bassline on the Emergency Broadcast System test is the best, eh? ;)

The "Ice Ice Baby" line was (essentially) John Deacon's bassline from Queen/David Bowie's "Under Pressure."

4. Troll rating - 0/10

This thread is humiliating.

5. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You missed one: "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" Sly & the Family Stone -- I mean, who does he think he is anyway? :rollno: :rollno:

6. OBVIOUSLY the worst bass line ever is Donna Lee by Jaco! I mean come one! Thats easy! (Prepares to be killed) :ninja:

(JOKING)

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'll bet he likes Judas Priest, 24 bars, same note ( that's when I stopped counting).

8. ...Judas Preist blows. And, apparently, I am a troll. Opinions are a dime a dozen dudes. Why should I be insulted because I hate a couple of bass lines?!

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    There you go. Rename this thread "MikeLindgren's Least Favorite Bass Lines" and then we'll talk.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Billie Jean", by Michael Jackson. Seriously, it was solid, constant, in perfect harmony with the kick drum, and it made the song. That's not the purpose of a bassline! Where's the doublethumbslaptapping! :bag:

11. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    The worse is Clapton's Cocaine a great guitar wanking song with a 3yr old's baseline....please its 4 notes at best during the verse's and has weird stops in it....i think its where the bassist fell asleep:p I play it in my cover band for the two guitarists to wank to the crowd and even thou i jazz the lines up 100% me and the drummer nod of sometimes.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

That song sucks so bad, no guitar wanking or bassline could save it. In fact, I think bar bands wanking guitarists are what makes that song suck so hard!

13. janek65

janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    ... define 'bad' bass-line
    it seems that some consider note-infested basslines 'good'..? tbh, songs i like seem to be far from that. especially the bass parts. a few well-placed riffs can do it all.
    all a matter of personal taste of course :)
    :D

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

And yet, you list Flea as an influence in your profile... are these songs annoying because you can't play them. :rolleyes:

15. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    To me, there are only levels of complexity in recorded basslines. Sometimes I am floored by a song with a simple bassline.

My friend played "Fall to Pieces" on CD (by Velvet Revolver) last night. I intentionally listened to the song for the bassline. It was simple - but very effective. I loved it. But, there are songs that I like where they are more complex - I like them too.

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "Don't feed me!"
    [​IMG]

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Liar. You didn't play on any of these.

Let's hear your brilliant basslines, Mr Jamerson.:rolleyes:

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

BWAAAHHAHAHHA, I didn't even catch that!

3rd degree burn.

19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd like to try a different approach: why is it that you find these bass lines annoying? You're certainly entitled to dislike them all you want, but you've picked out some of the more identifiable bass lines in the pop/rock mainstream. Surely there must be a good reason for you not liking them...

20. ZIIIIIIING!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.