Worst bass related experience

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Apr 6, 2003.

1. C'mon...inform us on your worst bass-related experience...anything from a bad gig to a nasty scratch on that new bad-boy...

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Lugging my amp around without a car.
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I had a bass that fell off the top off my stack.(no guitar stand) It stayed in tune:D But when I got home seen a crack in the body about 3 inches long
  4. I was helping the Percussion ensemble push a Keyboard with my Bass around my neck (with a strap of course) and then my strap broke and my bass fell onto the street, Making a humongous crack in the wood and shattering most of the finish around the Input jack, I cried and cried and cried then eventually had to kick the crap out of myself.
  5. ...OUCH!

sorry to hear that you two.

What kind of basses were these?

what'd you do w/ 'em?

Do you still have 'em?

6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now, what the pic doesn't show is the fact that I got a mild concussion, and that little shot of blood was actualy a gash that almost needed stiches, and the entire white part of that eye was GONE later that night. The whole white was blood red, from a burst vessel or something. Brad Barker and a few kids at my school can vouch for that much.

I drove for about five minutes w/ my little bro in the car, then pulled over, threw up three times, and called my parents to pick me up.

Got out of a day of school for it, but it hurt like hell.

7. I was playing a gig many moons ago with my Ric 4001. I broke a string on it (a common thing in those days) and I switched mid-song. A buddy of mine was helping out and was used to the quick switch. I unplugged, tossed him my Ric, and he tossed me my P bass. I plugged in an kept going. What I did not know is that he had not quite caught the bass...it split down the lower neck line 8 inches or so and never played right again. I had it fixed, but it was never the same.

So it goes!

8. Ok nice descripition of ur injury, Now whats the story behind it? Does it even have to do with bass?
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yessir it does.
    Gigging, I was jumping around like the big ape that I am, and my guitarist whacked my face with his inverted ESP heastock (Pointy side UP). When I say whack, I meant I pretty much accidentally gored myself on it. I doubled over, went down on one knee, still playing bass, and screamed like a gorilla.
    So, playing bass IS an occupational hazard.

Also had a fugue during a show, but Brad Barker can tell you about that one...He'd also probably be able to explain why me jumping into a headstock would give me a concussion.
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    One of my worst, is my most embarassing.

I was doing some fill in work playing a wedding reception. While I was walking around a little bit in my area of the stage, my foot hits a wet spot and I go flying right on my back in mid song.
  11. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Since I was the only one present, the details are a little sketchy. The following is what I think happened, but I can't be totally sure of anything except the beginning and end events.

Playing my P-bass last year, when the bottom strap button decided it had enough and let go of the body. The headstock promptly came up and whacked me in the temple with the E tuner, which hurt a lot. My hair also managed to get caught up in the tuners somehow. Since I just got clocked, I naturally dropped the bass...Which pulled me after it, on account of my hair. I whacked my head on the headstock again as the bass hit the floor, then I sat down (hard) in confusion...Right on that strap button that started it all.

I've still got a scar on my tush from that day. :(
  12. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Hahaha, that's hilarious. My story is actually about another bassist. I was playing guitar in a band at this one club and we were all hopping around on stage when our bass player kinda just hopped off the side of the stage. Well, actually, only one of his feet went over, and he started falling. He tried to grab on to a small shelf/bar that was on the side of the stage, but managed only to slam his hand onto an ashtray, which went flying into the crowd. He did this a second time and hit a second ashtray with the same results. The crowd was screaming with all the ashes and burnt cigarettes falling on them and our bassist hit the ground. The funny thing is this all happened within about 4 seconds and he never missed a note!
  13. It was an Ibanez SR305 DX

I didnt do anything to fix it, The repair would probably cost more than the bass and it didnt affect the sound so I just left it as is.

Yes I still have it, sitting in my room, waiting to die...
  14. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I remember that day, the guy from UPS dropped my bass, and I was so happy to have it, my first bass a Fender Jazz bass Deluxe MIM.

I opened the gig bag en that f#/** touched the body of the bass !!!

I even not touched the bass yet I did a scatch :mad:

I hate gig bag !
  15. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    does an amp story count ?

I was playing a solo bass concert at the University of Maryland College Park about 10 years ago.

In the middle of the second solo piece I blew both speakers in my amp.

Unfortunately I was using a combo amp so
    I could not unplug the cab. Plus, i could not stop playing so I had to play for another 40 minutes with speakers cracking every time the dynamics went above a certain level.

16. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    i was defretting my bass, and I found the most stupid thing to do it with. I swiss army knife (non-lockblade) I was on the 19th fret, and it was a deep fret. I pushed the knife really hard in, and the blade closed on my thumb with at least 30/40 lbs of force. it cut throught the top of the nail, strait down to the bone. It bled immediately. I got so nervous, i wrapped my thumb in a sock, and nearly passed out. that was about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and my thumb is doin pretty good know. ive really got in touch with my finger styles :D
  17. .....OUCH!

sorry to hear that dude.

I am interested in going fretless,but I'm not gonna defret the bass I have now (after hearing that;) ) hehe,but I'll just go out and buy a crappy one..

get well soon!

18. And I thought getting sore fingers was bad !
  19. Mine would have to be...

My band was playing a gig in a church for a bunch of friends. Since I was a complete showoff I decided to leap on top of a table to play a solo.

All was going well until the table split in half and I fell towards the floor , cracked my head open and nearly fell unconscious. Then my bass landed in my eye and I passed out.