Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

worst bass sound you've heard lately?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    The other night, the Billboard Music Awards came on after the local Seinfeld rerun. Instinctively, I grabbed the remote and was about to switch to something more interesting and creative (like an infomercial! :eek: ), when I saw the chick singer from No Doubt come on with her stockings and garters... ok, figured I could tough it out for a few minutes to watch the hot chick.

She's definitely hot, but their bassist had the most godawful worst live bass sound I've heard in a long time. The notes of the bassline sounded like a bunch of smurfy little mushrooms farting.

As a community service, if anybody knows what kind of bass he was using and what rig he was running it through, please post so we can all avoid his horrible gear!

So, what's the worst you've seen lately?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nevermind the gear, he probably just sucked. Some guy at the local store was playing a Yamaha BB605 through a Yorkville XM100 -- not a bad setup -- and the "sound" hurt my ears!

3. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

I'm not a huge fan of No Doubt, but I don't think Tony Kanal sucks at all as a player.

Edit for clarity:
    So, I guess I would not blame the bad tone on his ability. His taste in tone, maybe.

4. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Umm, lets see, let me think about this for a minute.

Ok, got it.

Mine! :bawl:

5. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    I work at GC... so you could imagine :rolleyes:

6. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    My band shares a practice space with another local band, and their bassist has no idea what he's doing. He plays an Ibanez Soundgear 5 string through a GK head and an SWR 18, all of his lows are cranked, and he tunes GDGDG... B string down two steps, E and A down one step. I think. The whole mess might be a half step down, I can't really tell.

His strings are almost an inch off of the fretboard.

My guitarist summed it up... "He sounds all, 'Doink. Doink... doink. Doing. Doink.'"

:spit:

7. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Billy Sheehan with Steve Vai a few weeks ago in ATL. It LOOKED like he was playing some cool stuff, but the tone was so bad we couldn't tell. :(

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I don't think Tony sucks at all as a player and I love his tone on the Tragic Kingdom album. It might have been the TV sound guys. I've noticed they have a habit of being bad.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I saw/heard Tony Kanal on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" the other night and I thought his sound sucked pond water with his Yamaha TRB something-or- other.

Then, on the other hand, I have dug his sound at other times.

He may not be a bass monster by any stretch or imganition. But after playing with No Doubt for about 17 years, I find he is very inventive admirable on some songs.

10. I think Tony's pretty good. Doesn't he play a Stingray 5? Also, maybe the rig wasn't his, and he didn't have time to do a decent soundcheck?

Mike

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mike - You're right. I;ve heard many tunes when I admired Tony with the Yammer, now that aI think about it.

I think was just reacting to tonedeaf's post above mine because it was so recent.

I guess the doink in the Strokes who tries to play a bass is one of the lousiest, IMO, to me.
    I don't know what's worse - his tone or lack of ability.

Nonetheless, if I was in his shoes, I'd go after that money, too. So, I can't fault him.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
  13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My friend had me download a Stystem of A Down video, telling me it had this "hilarious part in the middle where the singer guy is talking to the crowd."

There might well have been a funny part in that video, but the bass tone sucked sooo bad I didn't notice.

Like a detuned thunderbird farting into a tin can that's been mic'd.

Oh. Wait....

14. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Yeah, Shavo's tone kinda sucks it....

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I think Tony was probably the victim of bad sound. On recordings-i generally like his tone. No Doubt is one of my more favorite "current" bands. I think his playing is pretty good and i like his gear for the most part. That's all

edit: forgot to respond the question. The worst tone that i've heard was tonight-one of the DB players i was working with [there were 3 of us] i coulda swore he never played one before. E.g. tone was none existant, counting, pitch, technique, pretty much everything that should be there wasn't. I found out from the director that the kid isn't the most reliable and not that great of a person. :rolleyes:

16. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I must have been watching different Billboard music awards, because on the one I was watching Tony pretty much nailed the tone of the original "Its My Life" by TalkTalk(yes...juniors...thats a cover). Maybe you need a new t.v.,Mitch, cause I could clearly hear every bass note. It had definition and a nice low-mid bump with a little treble roll-off to keep down the fret noise. If thats what smurfy little mushrooms farting sound like... Pass the Petite Cirrulean Truffle Boops!:)

17. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA

18. I dont know any bad players sounds, but i do knwo some gear. I went to my friends and his dad was jamming with some buds. His bass player is terrible, so i decided to show him up :). so i asked to use his new bass and played through his new amp. Worst sound i have ever heard??~?? Cort Curbow 5 string through a carvin stack. IT WAS TERRIBLE. oh my god, it was bad.

- w00t

19. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Hmm... from what I've heard he's got a cool thing going on w/ extremely consistent and steady picking on a J bass.

He never struck me as lacking in tone nor talent.

I haven't heard the new album, though.

20. The worst bass sound I've heard in an important or reelevant production, is DIrk Lance's in the live footage of their dvd "When Incubus Attacks Volume 2"..

nothing more than farts most of the time.