Worst bass you ever had

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassinyourface, Mar 3, 2003.

1. I'm a newbie and read a thread about worst basses, I thought it might be cool to bring it up again (hope you all think so too).
    The worst bass I ever had was a Kramer copy of a Rickenbacker 2001. I bought it because it looked like Geddy Lee's and it was cheap ($175). The thing was horrible! The intonation was off so bad the 12th fret was off a half step and the A string buzzed. I took it in at least 5 times and had the truss rod adjusted and even spent $45 on a Badass bridge and that still didn't fix it. I ended up giving it away to some guy I met when I was stationed at Ft. Campbell in the Army and bought a 1969 Gibson EBO (nice bass).
    Any other horror stories?
  2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I had a Memphis P-Bass copy. The action must have been a mile off of the fingerboard. I could not believe that someone would waste such perfectly good firewood to build that Memphis.

3. Just to let everyone know, I'm not slamming Kramer, this was one bass I bought from a pawn shop. Kramer makes very nice instruments.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A metal flake Norma around 1970, (Swedish, I think).

I don't know which was worse about it - the sheer lack of playability ( its neck like a 1000 year-old Sequoia) or its pickups that sounded like someone being suffocated by a down pillow.

The only thing worse was a Sears Silvertone I tried to make into a bass. But that was actually a guitar........or, at least, that's what they called it. :rolleyes:
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    70's short scale Harmony :rolleyes:

finger board felt like it had a negative radius and the action was about 3/4 of an inch at the 12th fret
  6. Probably the "worst" bass I ever owned was a Kay Rickenbacker copy. My folks bought it for me when I first started playing. Mom's rationale was "yeah, it's cheap, but you can get a better one if you keep playing." I did end up getting a better bass ... a Rick 4001 -- just like Geddy's!

Which I traded in on a Steinberger X-2 ... BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!! In hindsight, this had to be the second crappiest bass I ever had. And not a month goes by that I don't kick myself for getting rid of that Rick!

I ended up trading the x-2 to a buddy for a guitar, some effects and a microphone. He's still got it and when I visit him (he lives in a different town) I get to play the x-2 and remember how crappy it is ...
  7. I had a brief stint with a Vox Phantom IV in the sixties... neck like a TREE and no balance whatsoever. It sounded terrible too! It gets my vote.
  8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    A "Vox Bassmaster" - Short scale, no truss rod (!),guitar tuners. - oh ... and the best part, the jack socket was a t.v. aerial socket! - like this:
  9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    ...It's the one you can't afford bro!
  10. A Noble. At least it had the excuse of being my first bass and I was 12. The other was a G and L 1000. No excuse! Just a lemon.
  11. Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    Yamaha rbx-200. I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Compared to my Warwick, it´s like #%¤&". That is why I wanted it at the first place. It´s great for practise. What you can do well with Yamaha you will master with Warwick!
  12. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I had a Sekova Beatle Bass copy.

Candy-apple green. Strings about four inches off the fingerboard. Horrible tone.

It's amazing I kept playing.
  13. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    A five-stringed Ibanez TR series.. I owned it for one year and adjusted the truss rod 300 times at least, man the neck was like rubber...
  14. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    One of those Johnson Jazz basses of Ebay. It was when I first started playing bass about 2 years ago and I didn't know any better. The fretboard edges were so sharp you could slice cheese with them! That was one painful Johnson!
  15. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Late 80's G&L 2000, What a lemon, I'm not slammin G&L I have played a few that I really liked but the one bass I ever bought without playing it first was this L2000, The bass itself was ok but the pre-amp and electronics were terrible. The thing sounded like a pig farting. :D
  16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    An early Warwick Fortress I. What a toneless piece of work that was, I couldn't wait to get rid of it! My Vox was a better bass.
  17. I actually had a horrible experience with Fender. Bought an overpriced Squire. Brand new, light blue and looked pretty sharp. Played like crap though. The thing buzzed like crazy, the pots were all scratchy and I couldn't get a solid note out of it. Shop tried adjusting it a couple times before claiming it was my playing. Kept it for a couple years though, until I dumped it for a mid 80s Yamaha BB1200S. I then figured out that all the problems weren't just my playing. That Yamaha was a sweet bass...

Took me awhile to try Fender again, but I did and am very happy with my MIJ fretless Jazz. I'm sure I just got a lemon before, as most Fender's I've played after that have been much better.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Dog pound:

1) My first bass ever, a medium scale Guild EB-3 wannabe.

2) Gibson Victory Artist. Visual mojo but no tone.

3) 1980? Fender Precision Special, a 15 pound boat anchor (felt like 15 anyway).

4) Charvel star-body bass. Awful ergonomics: super neck-divey, and it felt like I had to reach an extra foot for those low notes.
  19. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I don't own it, but the worst bass I've ever played is a carved DB that lives in a recording studio here. It's maybe 100 years old. It really is kind of frightening; the entire treble side shoulder and C-bout has been replaced with hardware store plywood, and there's extensive repair made with Bondo and wood scews. There is evidence of some termite damage.The bridge is snapped in half and lying flat in a sort of L-shape. The scroll is missing a huge chunk. The whole bass looks as if it's been stored in a toxic waste dump. It's strung with weedeater strings, which is just as well, since the action is about an inch off the end of the fingerboard. In spite of all this, it projects pretty well, and was probably a decent bass at one time.
  20. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The worst bass I ever had was my very first bass ever given to me by a friend of the family way back when I was 14. No idea of the brand (was nothing on the headstock) it looked kinda like a P-Bass but the horns were pointy. Thing had 1 string (yes, one, the A string and it was copper), weighed a ton and had a huge metal covered humbucker. The pickguard covered most of the body and was grey aluminum (tho I'd swear it was steel...).

The back of the neck had a crack in it running from the body to about the 7th fret. Imagine my suprise one day when, after coming back from a friend's house, opening the trunk of my mom's car and finding the neck snapped in two.:eek: