Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst bass you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBaron, Nov 8, 2004.

1. TheBaron

TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    Just bored and curious innit!

for me it was the Tanglewood Rebel 4k, its makes me cringe to think about it :spit:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    mmm my essex p bass..still have it. Its not horrible it just needs a fretjob, and i dont want to shell out the dough. It sounds great and is built well, just the frets arent perfectly level,etc. Its just the worst ive owned, but it doesnt mean much since i never really owned a crappy bass.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    That's easy. I used to have an early '80s Fender P with a maple fingerboard that had been reinished with a spray can and it was a bad refin even for for a spray job. I'd bought it because it was the only Fender I could afford at the time and I grew to despise it. It didn't dampen my enthusiasm for Fenders; I currently own to Ps and a J but that bass? Ugh!

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    70's Fender MusicMaster, mod'd with a DiMarzio brass bridge and black humbucker pickup where the pole pieces didn't even match the strings due to the spacing of that short scale bass.

Refin'd in someone's garage to a spray painted clear/natural finish with plenty of runs in it. The neck was ok, but the tone sucked, and due to the lack of pole/string matchups, 2 of the strings were dead compared to the other two, and no way to fix it. Sounded like a dime store bass strung with rubber bands.

Gave it away and bought a black Ric 4001... just a bit of a step up... :) wish I still had that Ric.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Wish Peanut Bass #15....

:bag:

Other than that mistake, I would say the Ibanez Soundgear 6 I used to own.

6. ugh, my first one was the worst. It was a brute of a P-bass copy. it must have weighed around 16 pounds. the frets were all worn down, neck was warped. tone didn't work. Its probably still around somewhere... hummm... i should go hunt for it, light it on fire, and ride it down a hill. god i hate that bass.

7. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Hohner Steinberger clone, Sure it was small but that tone was horrible...Plus it was my first bass so the Neck/Intonation was off.
    Was very happy when i got my pedulla series II a few years later.

8. A friend left a bass at my house. Made in Japan at a time when they didn't know how & we didn't know how to make small cars, it is cracked clear through at the nut. You can see through it, but it still 'plays'. The action is higher than my upright. I'd work on it, but touching it that way would likely result in a small explosion.

9. Surprisingly, an Alembic Epic 5 I ordered after not playing bass for many, many years.

It hissed like a den of rattlesnakes, and the tone was scratchy brittle, like chalk on glass.

I never found out if it was just that unit or the low end Epic line in general or just my bad technique, but I sent it back and got a G&L SB2, which put me in P-bass heaven.

Aloha,

Jonathan

10. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Ibanez sr305dx.. maybe it was just a dud i got but the electronics were absolute crap (bass boost went from 0db to like +10db from a 5 degree rotation of the nob.. no joke), had a neck like spaghetti, and spacing was WAY too tight

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Yamaha BB2005

12. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Jolana Galaxis bass, cheap Czech fender jazz copy, horrible pickups, knobs were broken(can do 360 degree spin :D), super high action. Owned it about 1 month, then sold it...

13. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    some nasty small bodied westfield thing. ugh. i somehow, w/o really knowing anything about basses managed to buy a really nice warwick thumb soon after that which has served me well good for the last 6years.

Dodge

14. A Frankenfender that someone slaped a real fender jazz sticker on. Hey, I was 13 and thought it was cool for 40 bucks. My instuctor wanted to throw it in the fire place it was so bad.

15. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    an Epiphone junior something. basically a p-bass copy. But it served its purpose, got me into bass, then i sold it to a buddy who was intressted and got him into it as well. So in the end be it a horrible bass its what started this whole sha bang :)

16. For about a week when I was starting to play bass, I thought maybe I'd play guitar. I got a Baxon. It was blue, and I can't even describe the shape. Lots of angles. Could have been some sort of medieval torture device. But it did send me over to the forces of good, so I'm grateful. I got a $200 Yamaha which remains my worst bass, although it wasn't all that bad.

17. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    HA! A stinkin' Mayfair solid body Beatle's bass copy. The thing had about 3/4" action at the 12th fret.....couldn't get it any lower.....

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

My first bass A peavey t-40

Rob

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My first-a Moridira Hurricane (P-MM pickups). Salmon pink, towering action, sharp frets, quite heavy for a four-string. It probably had the hottest output of a passive bass I've ever heard, though.

20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My first, a "Pro Session" P-copy, of which it was neither. Blatant false advertising! ;)