Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst bass you ever played?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 311 fan, Dec 20, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    PEAVEY PEAVY PEAVY!!!!! ( You say Ibanez and i kill you! )

2. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    weird enough, my peavy milestone 4 sucks biggest, that's why i plan on defretting the piece of. but, i've played some real bad fenders before. but in general p-bass copies that are always fretting out sound the worst to me.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Okay....I know a lot of you will be sure to tell me how wrong I am....bit the worse bass I ever played...was a Fender MIM Jazz bass.
    I couldn't get a good setup on it...it would not stay in tune. Tbe fret ends were so jagged and sharp that I would cut my fingers on them....and the noise from the pickups was impossible to deal with.
    Perhaps I got a bad one...but it really soured me on the MIM's...and the lack of response from Fender, to my inquiries about the bass...soured me on Fender as well.

4. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Without a doubt the worst bass I've played is a Gibson Thunderbird. I got tired of trying to play it and hold the headstock-heavy neck up at the same time.

The tone wasn't much to write home to mom about either.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    DeArmond Pilot 4...my GOD, I played it for about 2 minutes. The neck is so narrow it hur my hands just to play the damned thing. I had a nut width of about oh... ONE INCH! It was sooo painful...

6. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Danelectro Longhorn. WAY too light, played like sh*t too, couldn't stand the thing. Ugly as all hell too. :)

BTW-BEST bass I've played is my Ibanez EDB405 :D

7. 70's Telecaster bass. (0ne neck pickup)
    From the first gig I knew it had to go. Looked good, but the worst sound I had ever had.
    Swapped it for a Status Graphite headless.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Are we talking REAL basses or just basses? Of all the REAL basses I've played, I have to say Gibson Thunderbird. It's good-looking, all right, but it was depressingly unbalanced and it's tone was dull, dull, dull!

Of all the pseudo-basses I've played, I believe my first bass (I never bought it, only rented it), a metallic blue Larenzo bass with PJ configuration was the worst. It really sucked @$$. Of course, I didn't know you could set it up to play better, but this was so cheap I doubt it would have been worth it.

It's in this picture... (note the beautiful satanic cross on the door... very mature... :D ):

[​IMG]

Old photo with some buddies and their (literally spoken) garage band. Please note that I am myself not in the picture. :)

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Of supossed good basses:
    The worst has been a Made in Mexico Fender P-bass

Others include:
    -Hondo H800 P-Bass Copy

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    The worst bass I´ve ever played is somekind of a P-bass copy..

11. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Ibanez Soundgear. (Ducks)
    I'm pretty easy to please, but it was a toy. I liked the thin neck, but it was just so... Teensy. I could've thrown it a mile; snapped it over my knee... I need a big, giant piece of wood that hurts my shoulder and leaves strap marks.
    Then there's the myriad of generic P and J bass copies that got me through my poor(er) period...

-- Bill

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you guys really think things like Peaveys, Gibsons and Fenders are the WORST basses you've ever played, you need to get out more and try some of the cheap import basses of the 1960s!!!

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Kill??? Ibanez is almost as bad as my old Peavey T-40. That is the WORST bass I've ever played (and I own it!) Ibanez is a close second.

Sorry 311 fan:(

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Good point;)! At least then, I'd have something worthwhile to write about in this thread!:D

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To brianrost's comment - An Electra Hofner-copy,(violin body)for worst playability, a Norma, (Swedish?), for worst sound, and a Teisco Del Rey for combining the worst of both.

16. The worst bass I've ever played BY FAR is a BC Rich that they had at a Musicgoround. It was pretty normal shaped, not like the Warlock or the Mockingbird or anything. It had the ugliest finish I've ever seen in person.. it was made to look like spraypainted graffiti (it looked like it came that way from the factory). The neck was about as thick as 2 baseball bats.. and was very "chunky," as in.. it was missing large chunks of wood. Nothing really looked like it fit together quite right. It was also strung with rusty strings and had a good 2 inches of string action at the 12th fret. It's a good thing none of the bass amps around me were plugged in at the time.. because I'm betting the amplified tone would've induced vomiting.

No. 2 Is some no name J copy from the 70s that my high school had. It was pretty bad, was falling apart, and looked ugly as sin, but with some new strings and a better setup it would've at least been playable. It made some weird noises when plugged into my school's gigantic old Fender Bassman (that amp is awesome.. for both bass and guitar, I wonder how they got ahold of it), but sounded alright. I later found out that the bass was given to the school by the dad of one of my guitarist friends. I think he went to a real Fender Jazz.

I've also played some pretty bad Squiers with weird pointy headstocks (I'd say they looked like they were from the 80's.. but I don't know if Squier is that old).. a really crappy Sammick acoustic bass guitar... and a Yamaha that produced extremely loud garbage noise if any of the knobs were moved from the exact spots that they were in.

17. I won't count the "cheapie" basses. There are too many of those to mention. With that in mind, my vote is for the Rickenbacker 4003. It is a bass that has no bass, the low end is completely gone. I know that Riks have their place and their sound is for a specific pourpose (definitely not versitile). You'll either "love them or leave them". I just won't go there to begin with!!!

[Edited by Mr. Dead on 12-21-2000 at 10:02 AM]

18. About Peavey's.. I think their new basses are great.. and I own one.. but man.. some of those old ones are pretty crappy. I've played a T-40.. not quite as bad as some basses I've played, but lets just say I don't want to play one again. :)

19. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'm right there with Mr. Dead. Although mine was a 4001. I picked up one used in the early 80's because I thought it was the coolest looking bass out there. Yet when it came to tone, it was just awful. Furthermore, the playability
    felt cheap. I would never own another.

Funny thing though, I still think they're very cool looking.

Bones

20. UCWhatUdid

UCWhatUdid

Oct 2, 2000
    Ah, memories! (shudder)

brianrost, you are exactly correct. You haven't lived (or suffered) until you've tried some of the old imports.

Learned on a borrowed "Kimberly" beatle-bass copy. Had the most butt-ugly mustard colored burst finish you ever saw. Could have competed in the Olympic archery events, the neck was so bowed. Tone? Can you spell t-h-u-d?

So close it was almost a tie - a late 60s Framus copy of a p-bass. The headstock had broken off right at the nut and had been glued back on. No matter what you did to the set up, you couldn't play past the 7th fret cause the neck would be too badly out of tune.