1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worst car crash you've ever been in

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpectorBass308, Mar 11, 2008.

1. I rear ended an SUV and did $5000 damage to my pickup, I think I broke her license plate cover. :eyebrow: She jammed on her brakes but technically it was my fault... what about you?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I hit a pylon at a KFC drive thru :atoz:

A deer hit me when I was going 45mph, the KFC pylon did more damage.

A lady that was driving a car that failed inspection for bad brakes and tires scraped the side of my car while I was sitting at an intersection, the KFC pylon did more damage.

3. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I had a pretty bad motorcycle accident a long time ago. Luckily I lived to tell the tale but I still have the scars. I hit a concrete post at 50 mph and went through a glass bus shelter. Not good. [​IMG]

4. :meh: dude, you should be in jail right now.

5. new years eve two years ago I fell asleep at the wheel driving a rental minivan going down the interstate in Iowa. I drifted left across the lanes, woke up and jerked the steering wheel to the right so much I spun the car and hit the mud on the right side of the highway off the shoulder backwards. The mud stopped the left side of the car but the right wanted to keep going so the car flipped and did a barrel roll in air and did another roll on the ground. Came to facing backwards a hundred feet off the road, with the car a foot or two smaller in every direction.

Somehow I hit no other cars and me my mother and my sister were all fine.

I spent new years night in the hospital though, getting checked out and everything.

6. ford bronco (55mph) t-boned my 88 buick century (0mph). passenger side crumpled in as far as the armrest. passenger would have died probably instantly had there been one. 8 staples in the head and 20 stitches in arms. i was unconscious for a couple minutes and was picking glass out of my flesh for weeks. i was watched over that day.

7. wow

8. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    On our way down to see a Coheed concert at the Warfield. Going down the Bay Bridge and there's a crash. Our driver looks back to get into another lane. While this is occuring one of the emergency vehicles pulls backwards and another car in front of us stops. Apparently every passenger in the car sees the other car stop right in front of us. I groan. Driver looks forward yells "OH ****" and hits the brakes. Not enough though. We slam into the car. Immeadeatly we all get out, because we're fine. I'm thinking great, we're gonna be late to the concert. The guy we hit was worse shape and had to be looked at, which is lucky because there was an ambulance right there. Long story short the guy was fine and we got to the concert in time to see the Fall of Troy which was the opening act. However, I didn't do any crazy moshing or headbanging just in case something was wrong with me.

9. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I was trying to escape from a Walmart parking lot one particularly busy day. It was a weekday, so there were all sorts of old people out. You know how it is with old people and driving...if they haven't shrunk down to the point where they can't see over the steering wheel, they are hopped up on so many medications that they might as well be drunk.

Anyway, one of those old people hit my car with her shopping cart when she was walking out to her car. Sorry if I sounded a little anti-old people driving...but you can imagine how traumatic it was for me.

10. Got in a car crash long time ago I never saw what damage it did to my car (I was blinded in all 3 eyes as result of the crash) but i did lose a finger and had to get 2 stitches in the pinky

11. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    There have been two: I got sideswiped at an intersection going @ 80 one night, spun a couple of times. Luckily I got hit on the passenger side and no one was in the car but me. I walked away, the car (a rental) didn't.

Second one I rolled a Geo Metro into a ditch on a hairpin turn at the bottom of a hil. Again I was alone and walked away.

I've been incredibly lucky.

12. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    In a Chevy C20 van we'd rented from Rent-A-Wreck, our singer started taking out road signs. Long story short, he didn't see how steep the bank was next to the road, van lurched, then rolled, then rolled again a couple of times until it got to the bottom of the hill.

Me and the singer in the front, trumpet, trombone, drummer, percussionist and pianist loose in the back, worst injury was a cut thumb. The van was written off of course, and the interior completely redecorated with pizza and beer.

13. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I was gonna type out the whole story(it's very interesting, but is fairly long), but I'll just summarize. I was coming home at about 2:00am, and my truck(1988 S-Blazer) was hit hard by a drunk driver. She lost control and came across the road sideways at a high speed. Her car(~1998 Neon) was torn in half between the front door and the "B" pillar, and the front half of the car continued down the road about 30 yards more than the rear. The lady was ejected and ended up face down in the middle of the road. My truck ended up on its side in the middle of the road. She was helicoptered out and went on to recover. I was pretty much uninjured except a cut on my knee, bump on my head, and a slightly crooked rib cage.

14. oh boy, a thread i can relate to.

I ran a toyota tercel into a concrete bridge column doing 75+ mph. I fell asleep driving and fortunately, there was an ambulance behind me that saw me hit. I was dead for 3 or 4 minutes; no pulse, no breathing. They revived me but it took an hour and a half to cut the roof off and jack the engine off my legs. 13 broken bones, numerous lacerations, internal injuries, burns, a dislocated eyeball, a few dozen flesh wounds, 5 wks in the hospital, 9 units of blood, 3 surgeries, some stainless steel screws and 8 months in a wheel chair.

Good as new!

Then there was the time i got hit by a train...

...or when i went through the windshield of a honda accord, face first...

but the toyota-tercel-bridge column-hood-ornament was probably the worst.

speed doesn't kill, but stopping really fast might.

15. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    A friend took a 90 deg. turn at 50, slid off the road, hit a 2.5 foot embankment on my side and slide into a pole. My arm hit the wind shield and my hand hurt. The car was totaled.

16. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Was hit in the rear by a corvette while stopped for someone making a left hand turn in front of me. My Lincoln Town Car had a bent bumper...the vette was totalled as he never slowed down & hit me doing 55+. The airbags saved him but he was pretty screwed up.

17. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Anybody beat a train? I didn't think so.

Bonus points for making it sound so routine. :D

18. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Offset crash in a Subaru Legacy... $11,500.00 in damage to my vehicle (funny my airbag didn't even go off :confused:). The insurance adjuster wouldn't total out the car... it didn't make the 75% of value in NC... just missed it by less than 1k. :rollno: (it took 3 months to get it back).

I was in the passenger side of my friends Saab 9000. He was going too fast. Went around a curve, with oncomming traffic... slid out the back end, destroyed a line of 5 mailboxes... then the back end hit a concrete barrior for a drainage ditch... shot the car up in the air (about 15 feet... I could see tree branches right outside the passenger window :eek:). The car landed in a skid on all tires, but the rear axle was just about gone. My friend tried to drive off... since the car was front wheel drive... the tires just spun... I walked over and told him that he wasn't going anywhere... it took a couple of minutes to realize it too.

19. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I was rear ended by a truck when I was driving a rental vehicle once. I got mostly out of the way by pulling up alongside the car in front of me into the turning lane as I saw the guy coming in my rear view mirror. I think there were a couple of scratches.

20. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    OK. Here's one. It's even band related. I don't tell this one much 'cause it still scares the wee outta me

Back in the 80s my band outta Seattle was coming back up I-5 from a show down in Eugene, OR. We rented an old Metro bus the Young Fresh Fellows had "customized" into a band bus. Had six bunks in back, a couch in the middle, a couple of booths with tables and regular bus seats up front - including the bench seats facing the aisle sideways behind the driver. All the gear was stored under the bunks and there was storage space kinda by the side door for PA.

This old bus was a trip. Its top speed was 45 mph - we used to put a tool box on the gas pedal and call that cruise control. This thing never left the right lane it was so pokey. If someone had to urinate we'd simply open the side door towards the back and there ya go - literally.

So were coming up I-5 northbound and it's Sunday morning around 7:00 am. Show ended at midnight and it took this bus 7 hours to get home. Everyone from the Seattle area knows the Southcenter hill on I-5 coming into Tukwilla. It's about a two mile long, fairly steep hill. Everyone but the driver and the soundman are asleep. I'm sleeping on the couch. The soundguy is awake because he lives by Southcenter Mall and is getting ready to be dropped off

I'm awoken from a sound sleep by a *bang* followed a big jolt which lifts the couch up and slams it down into the aisle. First thing I realize is the lightman jumping over me and heading up front for the steering wheel which is being wrestled by the driver and soundguy. From down in the aisle I'm looking up out the huge windshield and see the front glass entrance of the mall coming up fast. The guys turn the wheel hard right at the end of the mall entrance ramp putting the bus up on two wheels sliding everything, incl me, against the wall. There's equipment falling everywhere - drums, cymbals, guitars, suitcases - and one of the girls is screaming "Mommy mommy!".

I'm still looking out the front and I see brick pillars of an outdoor covered walkway rushing by sideways as we careen by. The bus comes down hard on all fours and we coast to a stop way out in the back parking lot of the mall. Everybody starts getting out. A little white security pickup pulls up behind us and a kid jumps out "Man! That was the COOLEST thing I ever saw!" I said just don't ask us to do it again.

What happened was the bus had air brakes and the compressor had quit. The driver had pulled onto the off ramp to discover he had no brakes. The bang that woke me up was the bus clipping an aluminum light pole and the bump was the bus sailing over a traffic island at the end of the off ramp.

Some people had minor scrapes. I was OK - a couple of bumps from flying guitfiddles. The drummer was jabbed in the ribs by his hi-hat stand. Everybody was very shaken up. It made the TV news. The next day the keyboard player was at his day job. He coughed and doubled over in pain. Turns out he was sleeping in the top bunk where the bus hit the lamppost and when he coughed it broke a cracked rib. Ouch!

this is the band --> http://www.variantcause.com/

BUT WAIT - you get more!

About a month or two later I'm in bed in my girlfriends ground floor apartment. The brick building was next to a busy street near the U District in Seattle. It's around 7am and I'm semi awake. I hear this noise outside that sounds like something sliding on concrete. It almost sounds like a skateboard or I'm thinking a sign might have fallen off a city truck and is skidding along. It goes on and on when suddenly *POFF* there's the front of a metro city bus coming through the bedroom wall!

I grab my girlfriend and pull her with all the blankets out into the living room - this was a studio apt. Couldn't believe it! We had just been in the above bus accident about two months prior and now this! My drummer and his girlfriend lived in the apartment directly above ours. He said he looked out the window, saw the bus stuffed into where our bedroom was and figured there was no way we were still on this earth.

The bus driver had parked across the street and exited the bus to go grab an espresso. He forgot to set the parking brake and the bus rolled down a small incline and across the street into our apartment. The driver was desperately trying to reach the emergency brake through the driver side window.

The whole thing HAD happened in slow motion. The incline wasn't very steep and the bus hadn't gone far enough to pick up much speed. The grinding sound was a stop sign that was bending and scraping the bumper. The metal signpost prob slowed the bus even more.

The police came along with the fire dept to see if everyone was OK. I threw out my girlfriend's back when I pulled her out of bed. I had a bruised arm where it was hit by a falling dresser. We made the TV news again.

The driver was fired - felt bad about that - I mean accidents happen. Had to move as the apartment now featured a beautiful widescreen view of the neighborhood. Girlfriend tried to get Metro to pay for her hospital bill for her back strain, but because it was hurt years before the lawyers didn't give her much of a settlement. I was glad just to be alive.