1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worst Career Move?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Pete Best's quitting (or being fired from) the Beatles is possibly the worst career-related move in music history. Who else made absolutely terrible career moves?

Ross W. Lovell likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've made a few...

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Being fired doesn't really qualify as a 'career move.' ;)

4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Pete Best was fired. When The Beatles auditioned for George Martin, he said he would only produce them if they replaced Pete. It wasn't even their choice.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A-42754-1148557858.jpeg.

6. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I got two....
    • The guy that sent that Tupelo Mississippi boy (Elvis) packing from his audition office.
    • Rickenbacker for turning down the Beatles request to tour their facilities when they were on their second US tour.

Mr_Moo, Malak the Mad, GregC and 5 others like this.
  7. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    deleted

8. Wow...seriously? Mind. Blown.

Ikkir, Mr_Moo, jsxtal and 3 others like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :roflmao:

I think we can call this one settled. I'm out. Turn out the lights when you leave, guys.

10. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Yeah..... I went through a period where I read every Beatles bio I could get my hands on some years ago. I'll have to dust off those old books and see which one that little tidbit came from. That was before the factories realized musicians could be a great marketing tool for them...... And keep in mind too... At the time most corporate types thought the Beatles were wildly inappropriate. I mean... Their hair was shaggy and all!... Seriously, Rickenbacker was a bit embarrassed by their association in the early 60's.

Ikkir, Mr_Moo, Malak the Mad and 2 others like this.
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    J Geils firing Peter Wolf right as they were finally hitting the big time always comes to mind. Stewart Copland and Andy Summers insisting writing a song apiece Synchronicity also makes me chuckle.

12. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Tracii Guns (the clue’s in the name) formed Guns N’ Roses with Axl Rose (the clue’s in the name) back in 1985, but couldn’t be bothered getting off his arse half the time. “I just stopped going to rehearsals. Axl would call me screaming and yelling,” he said. He was gone about a year before ‘Appetite For Destruction’.

Ikkir, Mr_Moo, GregC and 2 others like this.
  13. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Del Shannon committing suicide a day or two before The Traveling Wilburys called to ask him to join their new band.

Mugwump and 5thsand4ths like this.
  14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Phillipsburg, NJ
  15. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Amusing... especially seeing that a few years later, Axl would pride himself on going onstage hours late, infuriating fans and giving him a lifelong reputation as one of the biggest tools the music business has ever seen.

catcauphonic, Kozmyk, Mr_Moo and 9 others like this.
  16. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Ooooph... no kidding? Never heard that.

17. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    How about Terry Reid, who turned down the job as lead singer with Led Zeppelin AND Deep Purple

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    John Rutsey, Rush's original drummer especially since diabetes can be reversed and prevented with nutrition and discipline. They may not have gone as far without Peart but....

Stumbo likes this.
  19. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Mick Taylor quitting the Stones?

Bob_Ross, kentiki, Chuck King and 7 others like this.
  20. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Peter Frampton agreeing (admittedly based on false representation by Stigwood that at least some of The Beatles were committed to the movie) to be in the movie "Sgt. Pepper".

Tommy Bolin joining the James Gang when Joe Walsh left, then joining Deep Purple when Blackmore left. He was a wonderful guitarist, but those two choices pUT him in a place where most fans didn't care for him. Didn't help that lots of folks didn't know the two bands had made the changes. I saw him twice, once with each band, and both times the "where's Joe (Richie)?" noise from the audience was pretty loud.

troy mcclure, Artman and bobba66 like this.