1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worst case scenario, pot not working...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BboogieXVII, Sep 29, 2013.

1. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    There's a pawn shop 6 string beater Ibanez that I like, it plays great except for the fact that the bridge p.u. tone control doesn't seem to function at all.

I'm not handy at fixing electronics but perhaps it'd be worth getting repaired but really I haven't the foggiest on what the cost might be to have it done. What could be the easy fix, and what would be the worst case scenario?

2. Easy fix: a wire or connection has come loose and needs reconnected. Will take someone who knows how to use a soldering iron 5 minutes to fix.

Worst case scenario: you need a new tone pot. You'll probably spend about $10 on parts and it'll be about 15 minutes work for someone who knows how to solder.

3. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    6 string Ibanez with separate tone controls for bridge and neck pickups? What model is it? This config sounds very unusual for Ibanez.

If the electronics is old and shaky, it is maybe worth the effort to change it completely to something new and dependable.

4. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    I'll have to make another trip down to the pawnshop to find out what model it is. I gave it the once over and didn't find any significant markings, it was definitely an Ibanez with separate tone controls though.

5. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Anyway, the worst case would be the replacement of the pot and the capacitor (if the tone control is passive) or the preamp (if it is active). And whatever qualified technician asks for the job if you don't do it yourself.

6. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    +1