Worst college promo video EVER

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    When you were applying to college, you may have seen a promo video for your respective University. Most of them are pretty lame in their own right, but this one takes the cake. It’s from Appalachian State University, which is an otherwise cool school in the mountains of NC.

Appalachian State is Hot, Hot, HOT!!!!
  2. Haha, laaaaame.

The picture of a guy playing saxophone during the saxophone part probably takes the cake for me.
  3. Wow, that was really, really weak.

Don't they reserve those types of jingles for cable-access realtor-type ads?
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

ANd then the guy on the keyboard during the keys solo.

"Since we've run out of actual pictures of our students doing stuff, now here are pics of the studio musicians recording this song!"

That went on WAY too long.

brad cook
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, there's a local company here who constructs "safety showers" in your home and they have a hilarious cheesy jingle that basically sings like an informational brochure.

brad cook
  6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It almost seems as if they're trying to be funny...but I'm assuming they're just really, really disconnected.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If that's the school I'm thinking of in Boone, NC, there's a fantastic brewpub nearby.

That didn't look bad to me. I mean, promotional videos like this for small colleges are cheezy. This one is cheezy. Big whoop. Probably a 100% student production.
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that was painful to watch.

has anyone seen the most recent south carolina ad? geez, and i thought UF's ad was awful. i'll try and find both.
  9. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

That was awful. The best part was when they showed the black guy in cap and gown right as you hear the soulful "woaah ohh ohh."
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    On the opposite end, I saw the BEST college promo video back when I was picking out colleges in my senior year of high school. It was for the Art Institute of San Fransisco, IIRC, and the entire video was hosted by Father Guido Sarducci. I wish I had a copy of it.
  11. I don't know what's worse, the song or the fact that they have subtitles for the lyrics....
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have a feeling that the words were added by a third party so we could get the full comic effect.

brad cook
  13. Why would anyone do that?? Too much free time i guess...
  14. Perhaps the next time I'm "Cold, Cold, Cold" I will venture on over to Appalachian State University and get "Hot, Hot, Hot."

I thought I had seen some bad videos, I guess I was wrong.
  15. This is a CLOWN school, right.

16. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I guess my expectations were low to start with, didn't effect me either way. Boring and cheezy,but I didn't expect much.

Now that Emo clip, I found that enlightening, I had know Idea what these people have been talking about w/ the Emo stuff. I see it talked about quite often,but it went right over my head.
    I guess it's Gothic with a twist? or a couple?
  17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

"pshh. that's a party clown college." :D
  18. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I dunno. Refer to my earlier post.
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Anyone else get a "Tom Goes To The Mayor" vibe from that song?
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow. lol... n stuff.

I'm going to write a jingle for talkbass.

Good good good, talkbass is good, we climb mountains of the internet. Good good good, everybodys rockin' 'til the sun goes down. Good good good, dancin' to the music with that mystical clown. Good good good, talkin' bout some food that can't be beat.

Whoooaoooaooaoa, there comes a time in every person's life, when he or she must know right from wrong. Whoooooaooaooaa, traveling through the forest on the back of a demon. Whoooooaoaooaoaoa, building our dreams on the backs of a nation.

Good Good Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.