Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Worst cover?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NeoTrotskyist, Aug 3, 2001.

1. NeoTrotskyist

NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    Which cover do you think does the least justice to the original? Just of the top of my head: Madonna doing American Pie, Lenny Kravitz doing American Woman and Britany Spears doing Satesfaction. What do you guys think?

2. Well, if you want terrible covers, I'd say go to a local bar and listen to some unknown band mess up Smells Like Teen Spirit:D.

Other than that, the Snake River Conspiracy cover of The Smiths' "How Soon Is Now?" is pretty sucky. Even if Tobey Torres has nice assets.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I can't stand the covers of "Smooth Criminal" or "Wicked Game." I absolutely hate it when a cover gets over bigger than the original, or when the radio station that's playing the cover doesn't give props to the original artist.

4. How about the All Saints crucifying "Under the Bridge" by RHCP? Man, that really sucked.

5. i love tool but they do a pretty crapy version of wrong way by sublime.

6. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    The how soon is now cover by snake river cons was really bad. I love the smiths and I nearly cried when I heard it.

Alien Ants Farm cover of Smooth Criminal is pretty bad.

7. qsoxy

qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    I heard a cover of Bob Dylan's "Don't think twice" on the radio the other day. It was done in kind of a Greenday-esque, pop-punky style. Dylan's version is so emotional it makes me cry...the cover version makes me change the radio station.

8. Im with sedge, All Saints should have been shot for that cover of 'Under The Bridge'.
    Then theres that terrible cover that N'sync (or 5ive or BSB, whatever, same thing) did of 'We Wll Rock You'.
    Im also not wild about Guns n' Roses take on 'Knockin On Heavens Door', although its a good song in its own right, it really doesnt do Dylans any justice. I do like thier cover of 'Live and Let Die' though.
    What I really hate though is those covers of songs where they change the lyrics but keep the music the same! I hate it! What is the point?? 'lets make the song sound exactly the same, lets just change the meaningful lyrics into some meaningless pop lyrics'.
    ie Puff Daddy covering Led Zeps 'Kashmir', Smashmouth using the music from The Doors 'Soul Kitchen', Jeddica Simpson (i think, again, theyre all the same) using the music from Mellancamps 'Jack And Diane' for some instantly forgettable pop song.
    And I forget the name of the band, but they used the music from Pink Floyds 'Another Brick In The Wall pt2', for some pop dance song.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I HATE, I really HATE the All Saints version of Under The Bridge!

10. Madonna's cover of American Pie was truly dreadful...she didn't even know what the song was about!! But Britany Spears' version of the Stones classic sucked, too.
    If you want a GOOD cover, on the other hand, listen to Hendrix's version of Dylan's All Along The Watchtower or Hey Joe..or Metallica's version of Bob Seger's Turn The Page. Those are covers that actually improve upon the original, rather than butcher it like the ones listed at the top.

11. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i agree

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Metallica's cover of "Turn the Page".
    Pearl Jam's cover of "Last Kiss".

13. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I don't really like Guns 'n' Roses version of "Live and Let Die." It doesn't have the same fun feel as the Beattles. I forgot the chicks name but she covered Guns 'n' Roses "Sweet Child o' Mine" and totally killed it.

14. there are two covers that i'm on the fence about:

1) sheryl crow's "d'yer mak'er" is wonderfully reivented with acoustic guitars, but her voice is really hurting at some points.

2) metallica's "astronomy" rocks, but they just kinda make it into a generic metallica tune. plus, the guitar solo in the blue oyster cult version blows it away.

15. oooh ooh!!!

That song Smash Mouth covered by The Monkeey's....

oh yea...

Smash Mouth's cover of "I'm A Believer" by the Monkeey's.

I actually liked the AAF cover cause I heard it live...

Um.... a cover taht is good is "In The Midnight Hour."

16. hey "godsmack",
    i think youve been taken by one of those dastly napster name changes. Tool did not cover Wrong Way by Sublime. That is Sublime doing wrong way by sublime. If you've never heard Stand by your van, brad often messes up a lot of lyrics and, sadly, often sings well of key.

17. Yeah, both those are great covers! Ive heard that Hendrix did a live cover of 'Like A Rolling Stone', I would love to hear that!
    Jim

18. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Toploaders cover of Thin Lizzy's "Dancing in the Moonlight" has to be the worst.
    Rolf Harris's cover of "Stairway to Heaven" is the best!!

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I don't like Limp Bizkit's cover of George Michael's faith. But that just might be because I don't like Limp Bizkit period.

One of the best covers I've ever heard was at a DMB concert when they played All Along The Watchtower with Neal Young as a special guest. There's also something about the Gypsy Kings doing My Way.

20. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Miss Marmelade.
    it was a great funky song and now after two very ugly covers I can't listen to the original.

also, Uptown Girl. come on the song wasn't great in the first place so why cover it?

Cake's cover to I Will Survive and Geri Haliwell's Raining Men. two ugly covers to two ugly songs

next up the ugly chart are Sheryl Crow's version of Sweet Child O' Mine which is more awakward than plain ugly...

and the winner of this thread- All Saint's Under The Bridge.
    did any of u notice this version omits the last verse? the one where the song's name originates from.