1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Worst cramp I ever had

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FenderJak, Feb 17, 2008.

1. FenderJak

FenderJak

Dec 21, 2007
    So I was playing a show last night, and about 2 and a half songs in, my thumb and pointer finger started cramping on my right hand. This isn't unusual because I play our stuff mostly with a pick and pick pretty hard at times, but it got to the point where I was struggling to hold the pick in my fingers. I even tried switching to plucking but it seemed as if I lost all strength in my right hand. Is this just a really bad cramp or possibly something more?

2. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    sounds like you should see a doctor. i'm not an experienced bassist or medical expert by any means, but my common sense is telling me that if you're experiencing an unusual amount of cramping something must be wrong.

3. El-Bob is right, you should probably make an appointment to see your doctor.

However, was it a high profile gig? or was there anything about the show that made you more tense than usual?
    I have noticed that from time to time, when playing a high tension show, I play much stiffer than usual at first and my plucking hand cramps up pretty bad, (I play finger style) and for the first few songs I really have to struggle to loosen up.

Next time you practice see if the pain comes back...if it`s there and you`re relaxed then you could be looking at something like carpal tunnel. However if you were just stressed and tense at the show then there probably won`t be any pain.

I hope this helps.